Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YO! this is my first complete build for a bike... I'm much more versed and experienced in hot rods and custom cars. I bought this little 80 ironhead for a good deal - i think - came with a bunch of extras - fuel and oil tank, vtwin hard tail section, bars, box o stuff, gasket kit. Any how i brought it home friday and tore into it today. got everything off and the motor out, removed the swingarm and mocked up the hard tail. this vtwin thing is silly wide... i think i'm going to section it. No need for a wide tire and i'm fairly sure I will still be able to put the caliper and bracket in there with an 1" or so out of it. Plans include this frame style and hopefully a short springer. Spool front with the disc rear - i'll put some so-cal freeway miles on it in traffic so I gotta try to play it a little safe. drag or z bars - not sure of tank or height of tank. definitely not purple.
Any body have any suggestions other than eat shit? pics are welcome

p.s. do you have to remove the rear rocker box to pull the motor or am i fuckin retarded?

Also if anyone has any interest in stock parts let me know

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Wellcome to the board!!! And yeah, in short...yer a retard... ;) you need to put the bike on the primary side and shake the frame off the motor, same for installing, yeah it is easyer to put the lower end in first then the top end, and just so ya know, the rear rocker box will not come off in the frame, the whole head has to come off to get it out.....Ask lots of questions and we will be happy to help....Roach.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In good call and duly noted. I ran a search on this vtwin hardtail and a guy here did his 1.5" with no interference with chain or caliper. That inch and a half slips the bottom bolt on area inside the frame vs outside it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's been a ton of time and I owe y'all an updated picture - it'll have to be tomorrow - I'm beat and I didn't take one today. The bike in the first post came apart for some topical engine work - and new gaskets. It had a nasty oil leak when I got it. It also got a hardtail after I figured out what was up with my frame. It's a roller now and I made it my mission to hear it today. I was a little nervous as this was the first time I've been inside one of these but with good info here and a proper manual I got through it. And it fired! Now I need to tune it and such and get on the road after I sort some brake issues out. Then I will get to updating and changing some of the parts out that I don't like but I had them off of the original bike so I'm using them to get going.

Question though... when I time the bike and rotate that plate I have to be pointing the timing light at the timing hole on the other side right? Goofy. And how do I keep from the oil bath with the timing plug out. I know - lame questions but it's my first. Thanks. I think I'm inspired to go out and take a pic for the thread though

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
YO! this is my first complete build for a bike... I'm much more versed and experienced in hot rods and custom cars. I bought this little 80 ironhead for a good deal - i think - came with a bunch of extras - fuel and oil tank, vtwin hard tail section, bars, box o stuff, gasket kit. Any how i brought it home friday and tore into it today. got everything off and the motor out, removed the swingarm and mocked up the hard tail. this vtwin thing is silly wide... i think i'm going to section it. No need for a wide tire and i'm fairly sure I will still be able to put the caliper and bracket in there with an 1" or so out of it. Plans include this frame style and hopefully a short springer. Spool front with the disc rear - i'll put some so-cal freeway miles on it in traffic so I gotta try to play it a little safe. drag or z bars - not sure of tank or height of tank. definitely not purple.
Any body have any suggestions other than eat shit? pics are welcome

p.s. do you have to remove the rear rocker box to pull the motor or am i fuckin retarded?

Also if anyone has any interest in stock parts let me know
I'm trying to figure out WTF the deal is with this frame. By the looks of it, it's a pre-79 frame, but with a 79 and later swing arm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A-ha! Clear plug... genius. Apparently others before didn't want oil everywhere either. Thanks I'll check it out today.
Byrd... the frame is weird. I have found that the backbone is pre 79 as well as the top half of the seat posts and the neck down and back to the swingarm is 80. Numbers match for 80 and the neck is factory stamped. Really threw me for a loop but I'm not complaining too much since it was really well done and the triangular oil bag /battery frame sections are gone. A pre 79 hardtail was perfect

·
Registered
243 Posts
do static timing, forget the clear plugs, they are practically useless.

first, adjust the timing cam, so the points open the same amount for both lobes (within a few thou). then finally adjust the points so they open the right amount. Then line up the flywheel to the front of the timing port (slightly retard timing). Use a wrench (13 mm I think) to hold the cam in the advanced position, then hook up a multi-meter (on the diode/ beeping setting), adjust the points plate until it just beeps.

you can now check timing to see if its ok when running, but chances are it should start so nice and run good after the static, if it doesn't you got lazy on one of the steps, and have to do it over. The real key I think is getting the points to open the same for both cams, this makes the engine not cross-eyed on timing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with threeson the clear timing plug is useless, I use a little rubber tube with a flange in it. It has "clean time" embossed on the end. Works great. I do think the static timing should be verified with timing light.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well at least the clear plug was only 3 bucks! I do not have a basic inductive light mine is all fancy and shit so it didn't work well. I did find that spending time with the points made a ton of improvement. It fires fairly easy and runs ok now... mikuni carb sucks ass but its what I have for now. At least I now know I got the cams on right and my gaskets don't leak! Thanks for the stance comment... it was my biggest concern. That oil tank sucks - it looks all wrong in there but that's what I got!

Really novice question... the timing cam is the plate that the points sit on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went to the garage to putz around a bit tonight removed the rear wheel installed new sprocket, new rotor cleaned the hub while i had the chance - small stuff. Question:
will I need to use the dished sprocket or the flat sprocket? I am going to put the chain on this weekend (may be able to move under it's own power:D) and I know I will be able to tell for sure then but does anyone have any ideas? The hardtail is for a pre 79 due to the backbone swap on the frame and the motor is an 80. I have a 87-94 rear caliper that fits nicely in the tail section and the correct rotor for it. The 80 m/c mounts to the sprocket cover which I'll use since I have it. Might be able to putt it !!!!!

Anyway sorry for the ramble if you have any ideas or experience on the rear sprocket let me know thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my primary leaks all sorted out, double checked everything in there while cover was off - all looks good. Went to the swap meet and got a couple tires, changed em out, went to my buddies place and got some fenders and a couple fender strut / sissy bars that were buried in junk piles - mocked em up. Gonna build an oil tank round aluminum I think as I just hate the way the current one looks. Suggestions on where to get the bungs for the oil tank ? especially the one with the tube for the return?? Nevermind the crazy wiring in the one pic I will have it all tucked away and looking good later, this was just to fire it off after I did the cams for the first time - wanted to make sure I had it right

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The changes are nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts