Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had this posted in the Introduce yourself section for some reason so I'm moving it over here.

I'm new to all of this.. I mean real new as in have never posted here before and never attempted to build a bike before. I'm young, somewhat inexperienced, but eager to start new projects.

I came across a picture of an old board track racer for the first time a few months ago and after doing some research I knew that I wanted one. I'm a graphic designer/3d modeler still in school so I have an idea mapped out in my head and some things on paper, but for sure have never taken on a project like this..

I bought a little stick welder and have been practicing as much as I can. I bought Worksman wheels and a springer fork to start the mock up process. I rigged up some stands in my tiny shed and put the wheels in place. She'll have a 55" wheelbase. The fork rake will be at 17 degrees. Tubing is 1.25" OD 1" ID.

Like I said.. I don't have much experience, but my fathers a mechanic, engine builder, and the most creative man I know. So I've been around cars all my life and have a creative knack for projects. I love the old Excelsiors so I want to base this one around a 1916 Excelsior, but add some of my own creativity along the way.

Any input and help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's where the bike is now. Need to make 1 more motor mount before I start breaking it down and finish the frame/ prep for paint.

I found the tires from a site in Germany and found the tank off a Harley Sportster. It'll need a smaller sprocket, this one is too big and will hit the motor. I might have to chop an inch off the crankset too..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thats one hell of a start, most people not in the business wouldn't even attempt such a task !!! I LIKE IT !!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

Haha, The motor is from Italy. Morini Franco 9.4hp 50cc. So it'll be street legal without a license. I've read of motorized bicycles with this doing 35-45 so I hope it's true. Some day I'll have the budget to put a real board track racer 1000cc in my next build (If that ever happens), but for now this will do.

I bought a tubing roller and notcher and after a sketch up on cardboard I went to work. I knew I wanted a 55" wheel base and researched that some board track racer forks had a 17 degree rake. So with that and reference pictures the frame was made. She's not perfect, but it's definitely better and cooler than I anticipated.

·
Registered
790 Posts
you will be watched a lot more when you turn to bigg cc bikes i can tell you,great frame work :)

you should have looked around for a older engine just for the looks but i get it why you went the way you did :D

//Janne

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.