Jockey Journal Forum banner

First bike!

997 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FlameThrower 
#1 ·
Althought I have been a member for a year I thought since I just purchased my first bike I better jump in and meet some guys that will be able to help. I am 49 and have never owned a bike before and I guess this is my midlife purchase. Although many will ask why I did it and if it was the correct bike to start with. So my question to all of you, will it be to sell it and get something that would be easier for a new guy or just start tearing it apart? I purchased a 1944 WM20 at an auction. It does not run, it is not titled, it has been in a storage garage for 25+ years, it still has the tag on it from driving around the streets of London, It has military parts but was also converted to civil use after the war. Let me hear what you think. I will add photos so you can see just how sick this bike is. thanks
Mike

#2 ·
I think you should buy what you like and don't weigh too heavy on other's opinions; however, that bike is certainly NO speed demon and depending on your size will not be a freeway bike. Have fun with it and if you don't know, ask.

Maybe pick up a cheap, small CC bike and practice your riding in parking lots etc. If you have the means ..... Take a riders safety course. Well worth the money.

Good Luck

#3 ·
That is what I call jumping in with both feet! First bike and it's a 68-y/o war relic. If you like it and have a vision for it, then go for it. If not, re-sell it and move onto something else. That is the cool part about garage-built choppers... they can become your vision or be re-sold at any time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.