Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a bike to learn how to ride on as I've never riden for more than a few miles out in the country. I'd definately be taking a rider's course or two as well.

I don't need anything fancy and nothing that's a handful. I have no brand preferences at this point. I'm looking for suggestions about what's a good model to learn to ride with that's easy to work on too. Since my budget is limited I'm assuming I'll have to do some wrenching. I'd like something that's fairly inexpensive too.

What do you think?

·
Registered
236 Posts
A Honda XR bike, 650 prolly. That way you can ride the road and the dirt. Lots of good learning to be had in the dirt..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A KX 500 is definetely not a good first bike. It's a good bike to learn how to control a powerband on. And how to change sparkplugs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Creepinogie said:
A KX 500 is definetely not a good first bike. It's a good bike to learn how to control a powerband on. And how to change sparkplugs.
heh, also a good bike to make ya think about a 250...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
early 70s honda CB350, parts are EVERYWHERE< real easy to ride handle and fix... CANT break em...

i have one i might sell, but its in AWESOME shape, and i would probably want more than you wanna spend... it sat in a garage for 25 years, and chrome and all is in GREAT shape with only a few lil scratches here and there... an AWESOME bike... maybe i shouldnt sell, LOL

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Dr. Jett said:
Kawi KX500 or Honda CR500 with a lighting kit. :D
thats funny as shit.

seriously, like everyone else said-> a late model Honda CB or something of that nature...a bike thats a "standard" with a neutral riding pisition, mid-controls and wide bars will be easiest (and safest) to learn on. Hell, a Honda XL enduro would be a good first bike.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
One thing about enduros and dirt riding is that you'll learn alot you can apply to street riding, reflexes, sliding, etc.

Friggin KX500.......

That guy's trying to kill ya.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Creepinogie said:
One thing about enduros and dirt riding is that you'll learn alot you can apply to street riding, reflexes, sliding, etc.

Friggin KX500.......

That guy's trying to kill ya.
JEEZ YA THINK! WITH FREINDS LIKE THAT.............!!!
GET A TRIUMPH/MID 70'S HONDA/XS650-----JUST BUY SOMETHING.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have to go with Mute on this one.The on off road bikes are geat handling and easy to pick up when they fall over.A 250 is a good size to start with.Nice to have one of these around to play in the woods with anyhow.Whatever you do enjoy and welcome to the motorcycling community.

·
Registered
909 Posts
first of all i am only a "junior member" but in my opinion, get whatever you want. just dont be dumb. obviously if you had a fucking turbo hyabusa to learn on, you would probably shit yer self. or die. but you would learn wouldnt ya. just my .02. ride what you want. every bike is different, so really youll learn all over again on each new bike. how it handles and stops, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, a CB 550 seems to be the most common model mentioned. Think I'll start poking around for one.

Thanks fellas, you're good guys despite what I've heard from the authorities... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Creepinogie said:
Good reliable bike a big enough so it won't get blown around on the freeways. You really should try a KX500 though too.
Are you trying to kill me too? First my ex-wife and now you guys!:eek:
Years ago my buddy used to have a KH400 and I saw the trouble that got him into. His being a dumbass and all didn't help his cause either...:D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Slipkid said:
Are you trying to kill me too? First my ex-wife and now you guys!:eek:
Years ago my buddy used to have a KH400 and I saw the trouble that got him into. His being a dumbass and all didn't help his cause either...:D
I was only kidding on the open class machines.

Honestly, and this will sound really gay, and it kinda' is, but a Honda Rebel 250 of late 1980's to 1990's vintage is hands down the best learner bike, ever.

I was already a 1000cc + rider in the 80's and uncle sam made anyone who served in the armed forces take the MSF course, and also made us wear orange vests while riding. Nice.

Anyway, the bike MSF used at the time was the Rebel 250. All the experienced guys laughed when handed the keys. But after that 2 day or whatever it was course, I'll be damned if that little bitch didn't teach me some things I didn't know, like how to drag exhaust pipes and burn them into metal shavings on command, and at will!

Seriously, where you are at, it is what you need.

A YZ465 with a wide ratio kit will work also.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dr. Jett - I fugured yooze guys was funnin' with me about the KZ. Actually, I have thought about the Rebels. They're not all that bad looking (with a little clean up) and they're cheap around here, if I can find one that hasn't been beat to death.

I think I'll stay under 600cc to start. My budget vs bike condition will probably be the biggest deciding factor when I comes time to buy. Unless I can swap some hot rod upholstery work for a bike...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts