Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm running a Firestone Champion Deluxe from Coker, and I wondered if anyone had experience with how much this tire will "grow" when it is up to speed. It is already a tall tire, and I'm not sure how much room to leave between the tire and the fender. I did a search before I posted this, but came up with nothing...

Also, I have been posting a question about knurled grips that keeps getting removed. Is there a problem with the question or has it been asked before or is it just a dumb question?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, an inch eh? I was thinking the thickness of a chain (more like 1/2") but maybe I'll need to re-think...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bro, i roll the same tire at 70hpr she will rise an rub the hell out of
my inside fender bolt....i took the wheel off flipped the bolt....problem
solved. Now i can ride like a bat out of hell

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have had this set up about a year and have had no problems at 55-60. I don't ride a lot of gravel roads ( could be a problem). No scrapes or rubbing on the tire what so ever . I run 30 lbs.Sorry I can't get photobucket to download smaller pics , what do I need to do?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We set up the Brown Sugar" bike with the same tire and a 1/2" clearance on the fender then put it on the dyno and took it up to 90MPh I stood there with my face all inside the wheel to see if it was going to clear the fender all that was good, but man
that chain sure move around a bunch.
the bad news now the customer has 500 miles on the bike and he hates those tires so bad out on the freeway we are taking them off and putting 2 new Dunlops K70's on. anybody want some Firestones?

·
Registered
373 Posts
My buddy has about 5/8" clearance on his 16" firestone rear, maybe minus 1/8" for his p-pad nuts sticking though. Does fine untill about 100. We were doing about 120 last night and his rear tire had smoke billowing off it from expanding into the p-pad nuts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My buddy has about 5/8" clearance on his 16" firestone rear, maybe minus 1/8" for his p-pad nuts sticking though. Does fine untill about 100. We were doing about 120 last night and his rear tire had smoke billowing off it from expanding into the p-pad nuts.
Sweet!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stick to the chain method (1/2").

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bozi is dead on here. The four things to consider: tire pressure (less pressure = more growth); rim width (narrower rim allows more growth); temperature (air temp and tire temp - hotter road surface+higher speed+low tire pressure= much heat and expansion, both from air temp inside the tire and softening of the tire compound); and fender mounting. For that last one, what I mean is if you do the usual "lay a chain on the tire and lay the fender on that for clearance" routine, that's great IF there aren't any tighter spots elsewhere, like any nuts/bolts or even the shape of the fender creating tighter spots. To be really safe (including those spontanious high speed blasts that seem to happen occasionally and usually when you least desire attention from the law), I'd leave 5/8" MINIMUM at the closest point between the tire and whatever (fender, bolt, etc). May not look quite as cool, but it's hard to look cool when you're pavement surfing 'cause your tire blew out...

-Kuda (not really a grandmother, honest)
'49 panchop

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
He is talkin smack ..he aint sellin not cheap anyway? lol
They are both 400/19's they don't belong to me, if they were mine I would toss them in the dumpster, these are the worst tires I have ever ridden on. the owner might sell them but I don't care.
when these tires first came out the specs on those tires it said "intended for antique motorcycle display purposes only". they now have DOT approval but it is a horrible handling tread design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts