Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking and looking and never being able to find a stock, low mileage FXR, I had done some trading for an '85 Softail. No offense to the guys who ride 'em, but I hated that bike like it was my ex wife. So today I called a friend in one of the local clubs and told him to put the word out on my Softail. 2 minutes later one of the guys he was drinking with called me up asked if I would be interested in a one owner '91 FXR with 20k miles. Still had the stock mids on it and a dual disk front end. I told him hell yes I would be, so we met up and he liked mine and I liked his, so we just swapped. I normally wouldn't trade anything straight up, but his was exactly what I had been looking for. As soon as my pics get downloaded, I'll post a few up.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I say you did not screw him that bad. Since the FXR is a real bike, and the POS you gave him, is, well, a POS. Congrats and enjoy the new toy. The evo gods may hate you, but the shovel gods are sending riding joy to your front step.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Nik,
I went the other way and have kicked my self since, ya did good, enjoy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pics I took last night never showed up to my email account, so I had to get my son to go take some more and send them to me. Of course his made. LOL. Here's a few of the, it's so stock it hurts, bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and one more.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it came with the windshield too. The only thing that would have made me happier was if it had the front fairing and hard bags. The plans for next week are to put some miles on it and get a feel for what I need to change first. I know the seat has to go, and the kid wants it to be a different color. The paint scheme reminds me of when I use to have a mullet, so hopefully we'll bring it out of it's 80s funk with just a few tweaks.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Yeah, it came with the windshield too. The only thing that would have made me happier was if it had the front fairing and hard bags. The plans for next week are to put some miles on it and get a feel for what I need to change first. I know the seat has to go, and the kid wants it to be a different color. The paint scheme reminds me of when I use to have a mullet, so hopefully we'll bring it out of it's 80s funk with just a few tweaks.
man....it would be a hell-of-a lot cheaper to just grow the mullet back. (very nice bike...looks to be a virgin....I've got a sawzall if ya need it)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like the "stockness" of it bugs you, but there is no better platform to start with than an unmolested FXR, or any other donor. I think you will love that bike once you have logged some miles on it. Good trade.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you're looking for a comfortable seat, I'll recommend a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady seat. I put one on my FXR and it's the best road seat I've ever set on. You can run lots of miles before you start wiggling around on it.
Not the cheapest or most "new cool" looking seat, but it works.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the "stockness" of it bugs you, but there is no better platform to start with than an unmolested FXR, or any other donor. I think you will love that bike once you have logged some miles on it. Good trade.
Actually, the main reason I went for this one is because it was so stock and unmolested. I see guys all the time trying to find the mid controls that everybody tossed back in 80s and 90s. What bothers me is the height with this stock seat, I'm a short SOB and the padding is just enough to make me want to change it. My kid hates green, that the reason for the color change. If this would have been stock with a brighter color, I would throw a thinner seat on it and be done for now. In 10k I might decide to go the normal Supertrapp exhaust, Buell front end route, but for now it's getting ridden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.