Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drug this relic home today, my cameras pooched so all I have is cell pics. Major makeover planned for the winter but I'd like to get riding!

I know it's a BDL primary but he forgot the name of the clutch he put in but swears it's good.

Anyways, I need to learn how to adjust it. I took it for a virgin spin and a couple of blocks away I could rev the motor but nothing was getting to the rear wheel.

When I limped it home I put it in neutral and when I kicked it the motor wouldn't turn over. That's the clutch right?

I will get a manual soon, just curious.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The clutch is also BDL. I think they call it a "Competitor." It gives you the option of using 3,6, or all 9 springs, depending on how much horsepower your motor puts out and how big your left forearm is.

The BDL instructions are no help when it comes to adjusting the clutch, but it's pretty much the same as adjusting the stocker. Turn the adjuster screw in til it just touches and back it off 1/8-1/4 turn. In your case check to see how many springs are there. Being a new (to you) bike, I'd also take a look at the throwout bearing to make sure it's not eating itself. The wafer style ones will. the old "bell" style are pretty indestructible, but sometimes noisy and they won't fit in some newer kicker covers. You need the matching "finger" if you're going to change it.

Much of this stuff is covered in the service manual. If you don't have one, you should. The factory one is the best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, over my head right now but thanks! ha

I will get a manual, after I pay the sales taxes.

It wasn't noisy, is the adjuster bolt the big one in the center?

I'm going to search the interweb for some instructions, thanks again for naming it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It kinda looks like you have a shovel cable assembly with a four speed. That's totally different from an evo where you would back it out HALF a turn for B/Ts, and a quarter turn for sportsters.

For your shovel set up, you use the center screw to set the angle of the cable/arm intersection. shoot for ninety degrees. The factory says to adjust a given distance from the trans top (13/16") but that's kind of a headache, especially alone. I used to put a rubber hose on the end of a spark plug with 13/16" flats, tighten the screw to hold it in the up position, and then loosen until it just falls. Anyway, after you set the screw/angle thing, you just set your cable freeplay to around 1/16" of so.

It's also possible that your clutch needs more than just adjustment. If after trying the adjustment procedure it still slips, you'll want to check out the plates and make sure they are free of oil and excessive wear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never hurts to check the cable; smashed or kinked, stretched, or like 99% no maint - oil it up if it looks good. And if you want to ride now, buy some steaks for the grille and invite your most knowledgeable friend to come over for a day...you will learn more in an afternoon than a week of reading the book.
Happy motoring and safe journey's!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No kidding eh, I'm a few hours from the nearest shop and I haven't seen any old bikes around this small villiage. But I've got the word out of free beer for any greybeards hiding around here!:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, set me straight on this.

I backed the cable right off and disconnected it from the arm that goes to the trans.

I loosened the lock nut on the clutch adjustment bolt (center bolt).

When I run that adjustment bolt all the way in the kicker has no resistance, when I back it all the way out I can hear a scraping and have a little resistance.

That's the clutch plates trying to lock up right?

So I don't have enough spring pressure pushing the plates together or there's something wrong with the plates right.

(I tried to tighten the springs but they won't budge)

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled it apart and sanded the plates, cleaned some metal shavings out of it, set it up and she fired right up!!!:D

I fuckin love this bike!! (sorry for all the newbie questions guys:eek:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts