Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just picked up a donor bike today!

I'm in Oklahoma, found this on Craiglist in St, Louis. I worked out a deal with the guy and drove down to Camdenton to meet him. I feel like I paid a fair price for it and I'm very excited. It's a 72 Bonneville numbers matching frame/motor. The title got lost somewhere along the way, but I hear that a custom bike/home build title in OK isn't (that) bad.

The guy told me that the bottom end is in perfect working condition, the jugs are good, heads good. The top end was taken off due to a holed piston. So in theory all I need to get for this thing running are pistons/rings gaskets etc. Bike has 6000 miles on it. Bike is complete and it's going to be quite the project for myself, but i can't wait.

My plan is a David Bird full hardball frame, 21 front wheel laced to stock hub, apes, possibly upsweeping exhaust that comes up toward the rear, etc. This will be my first build, but I am eager to get going. I just got home, unloaded it from the truck and wrestled it down into the basement.

My next plan is to decide on stretch, drop. Build some kind of cheap bike table, start cleaning up the engine and researching the best pistons I need to get. Then save up for them.

Anyway, thanks to those of you on here who offered me advice and helped me out as I looked for a bike. I have a lot to learn and can't wait.

-Luke

pick up at walmart with no title. but a bill of sale.

the baby

when I got home after 600 miles, the kid freaked out for this thing. couldn't get him off of it!

In the house, wife wasn't thrilled.

In the basement, wife was semi-thrilled

makeshift parts table

parts

parts

parts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm pretty fired up as you can probably tell. I've been looking for a while but the ones I've been finding were either:

Running and way too expensive
Rusted out, seized and still quasi-expensive

This one was somewhere inbeteeen an hopefully within my Technical abilities. The guy I bought it from was a really cool old Triumph buff with a lot of knowledge. He's currently restoring a 69 Bonnie, then a 70, so he decided to let this one go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Servi, funny you should say. When I had that beauty in the sunlight, the original paint looked killer! Granted it's dull, somewhat faded and nicked and scratched. But it's the kind of nicked and scratched that looks really, really cool. Initially I'd planned to paint tank and rear fender some kind of 60's metal flake. But after seeing the natural patina and how beautiful it looks, I considered building this thing as an as-is kind of survivor chop. I don't know. I'm afraid the old parts on a new bird frame may look a little weird.

Thanks for the tip Kickstarter, is splitting the cases on these things a nightmarish job requiring special proprietary tools? I do plan on buying the British 101 DVDs and manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts