Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of pics of my old Shovel,final mock up again.Let me explain,I started a ground up rebuild on this bike last year around Thanksgiving.When I got the motor back from Jesse,(Dragstews),it went back in the stock frame with a stock dual disc wide glide.I just stuck the raw fat bobs on it to fire it up.Heat cycled it,checked all the head and base bolts and rode it around the block.It felt awesome,more on the motor in a minute.I took it back apart to paint everything,and in the meantime I wound up with a Santee softail frame, a complete springer front end,and an Evo 5 speed.Well I've never been one to leave well enough alone,and I've got an Evo Softail to ride in the meantime,so what the hell.Change direction,again.Now to the motor,Jesse built me a 98" motor using Delkron cases,T&O flywheels,Eagle "H" beam rods,late model sprocket shaft,Manley valve train,bored the S&S jugs .010 over and balanced everything.Assembled it with Baisley oil pump speed up gears,S&S breather gear with air ramp,and set up the cam backlash with a new "Green" pinion gear.The motor is running and old Sifton 106 cam, an S&S Super "E" and exhaust through an old Arlen Ness 2 into 1.I know this scooter isn't everybody's "cup of tea" so to speak,but I don't give a shit.It's gonna be light,and strong and I can't wait to get it finished and broked in,I've got a couple of buddys with Twin cams that I ride with.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jesse it's all good,the guys I ride with on those Twinkies don't think you can get power out of a Shovel no matter what you do.I hope to change their minds.I want this bike to have a minimalist theme.Only what's necessary,I'm even gonna put the push button solenoid end on the starter and eliminate all the starter wiring.A 6 speed huh,dang that does sound nice,maybe this winter,this puppy has been apart too long.

RAGBAK,it's an old Arlen Ness pipe that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago and it's hung on my wall ever since.I don't know if they even make them anymore.They were sold with an outrageous claim of about 8 or 9 horsepower gain.I seriously doubt if it will see anywhere near those numbers but when i bought it there wasn't a lot of options out there for Shovelheads.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
With the 5-speed, ya could step up the trans sprocket or drop the wheel sprocket.
On a side note, I have a friend that has a stroker shovel, hard to imagine a crusty old grey beard gigling but, everytime I get him talking about passin twinkeys......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts