Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for some sorta thread like the Springer ID thread but found nothing. Also just searched for "fender(s)" and came up with a lot of discussion, but the only thread I found that had anything about ID'ing a fender was from 2011 & it was only for an early 45 fender set. Tried a few other terms, but couldn't really think of anything logical.
So, if I can be so presumptuous to ask, can I get some help ID'ing this fender?
It came with my '59 XL project & I'm considering hacking it up to make it look more like an early XLCH fender, but I don't want to chop it up if it's something worth saving. I believe it's just an AMF era XL (XLH?) fender, but I'd like some expert input. I don't even know if it's OE HD, so I'm completely in the dark on this one.
Thanks -

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Thanks for the bike pic. I glimpsed a piece of it in your fender pics, was curious, didn't want to haul your thread off track by asking for a full-on photo.

Sorry I can't help with your fender query.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It looks like a earlier CH fender. It only has 2 holes for the license plate bracket and I think they had they had 3 later on. 55 thru 72 taillight hole. Check a website called Tagtoppers, the guy sells little devil brackets for license plates, and he has a lot of old H and CH stuff, rebuilds gauges, and really knows his stuff. www.tagtoppers.com

·
Registered
768 Posts
This fender has the dent under the seat to clear the late 60s XLH coil and as said above, can't be after 72.

It's not as rare as a 59 CH fender, but it's not that common!!!

But as I often say, it's your bike/your parts and if you feel like moding them, do so...

But before you mod it, check it will fit OK with your "long" swing arm (kinked tubes), 59CH should have the "short" swing arm (straight tubes).

Long swing arm is post 67 XLH and post 69 CH.

Patrick

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fellers! Good info. I poked around the tagtoppers website & saw a bunch of interesting stuff. Thanks for the lead on that. I'll be studying it more soon.
I also went to the K model website & poked around there a bit. I found an interesting thread in which there appeared a photo of a member's "all-original 1966 XLCH" (his words). Stolen screen shot of the fender attached. Notice the three rivets at the rear. Mine has the same. The taillight that came with mine also looks very similar to the one in the photo (although mine has a goofy aftermarket lens). Again, super good source! Thanks for the lead.
My swingarm has a kink in it forward of the shock mount (see photo). Is this the later (long) version?
Man, my bike is some kinda morphrodite, or what?
So, the big question: should I save this fender for someone who really needs it? Or should I just not worry about it & hack away? I'd hate to wreck something that someone else might be needing, but I don't want to make a career out of saving every obscure trinket that someone somewhere someday might need.
I will eventually need a fender of course, so are there cheeep options out there that I don't have to feel guilty about destroying?
What is the consensus?

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi,

If you use that fender with your long swing arm, it will look like this, horrible:

Proper 59 CH look will be to source a short swing arm (straight tubes) then this fender of yours won't be bad at all...

Patrick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do what you think is the best way for your bike , it's your bike ,your parts ,if this fender is the real "must have " parts for this bike , chop it , weld it, drill it . Not other existencial question .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys. Patrick, I mocked up my fender & you are right - it makes the wheel look like it's too far back. Dang. Looks like it will require either a different fender, a different swingarm or some major surgery somewhere to get the proper fit. Double dang.
There is a small group of guys that go to the AMCA Viking meet in St Paul Minnesota every year who have tons of early XL stuff & really know their XL's. I'd like to see what they have to sell/trade that might work, but I'm not sure whether the meet will be run this year.
I'll figure something out. Thanks again for the help & input all!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Find a pre electric start(66H first year) swing arm, or a pre 70 CH swing arm,(same thing). Bolts right in and with all the rigid conversions since the late 60's, there should be plenty out there. In 66 they lengthened the upper frame above the motor mounts to clear the Estart and big battery. Because the shock mounts were moved back, they lengthened the swing arm. 1970 up they were all standardized to the long frame. Which fender look are you looking for?(Post a pic) I, and several others out there I'm sure, have a stash of old fenders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts