Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My KNEE that is feels like its broke!
We were working on the Ironhead last night setting the points. I went to kick her over and on about the 5th kick the cog slipped and bottomed out like I had been warned by oh so many!! My kneww felt like it hyper extended and I dropped like a bitch!! Rolled around on the ground holding my knee waitting for the pain to subside. All the time thinking of the same story Nads had told me so many times... Damn it hurts. So I iced the knee and slept pretty good. this morning its stiff and I can hardley put any pressure on it....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its gonna be a long day. Im off to get a cane (always wanted one as a kid haha)
thanks for listening and well I guess Im "broke" in now

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn Drag, that sucks! I had that happen to me on an old Bonnie I had..rolled around on the ground cussin for quite a while too. The fun thing was, I already had a mangled knee, so this only worsened it. Tore up some cartilage and had to get it scoped. Needless to say whenever I kick a bike, Im a little apprehensive as Ive already had 5 operations on the right knee and two on the left, and really dont want to have any more, but then I think Ahhh fuck it, it only hurts for like a week;) , and kick away.. Luckily I only have an XS650, and it kicks like a dream, so that and a knee brace gives me a boost of "enhanced" confidence.. Ahhhh, the feeble knee... Hope it gets better though, It really sucks when they dont work right.
XCS

·
Registered
257 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
We were working on the Ironhead last night setting the points. I went to kick her over and on about the 5th kick the cog slipped and bottomed out like I had been warned by oh so many!! My kneww felt like it hyper extended and I dropped like a bitch!! Rolled around on the ground holding my knee waitting for the pain to subside. All the time thinking of the same story Nads had told me so many times... Damn it hurts. So I iced the knee and slept pretty good. this morning its stiff and I can hardley put any pressure on it....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its gonna be a long day. Im off to get a cane (always wanted one as a kid haha)
I hope someone has shown you the CH kick. That is when you stay on the right side of the bike using your right leg to kick and learning to balance yourself with your left hand on the seat and right on the trottle. Sometimes if your real quick you can hold yourself up after the ratchet gear slips. But usally not. Love those kickers.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I built a set of starting rollers for my (former) '68 XLCH to use while sorting out the bike. I did that to my right knee TWICE. Rollers are far more durable than my knee - kind of like an external starter motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago---and i should have know n better since i screwed up my kneecap on one i had in the late sixites. what oldspeed said is right--i always stand on the right & hold the sissy bar & throttle---but it didn't help much!!! hope you get over it soon. are you going to the horse show at tropical willie's on the 2oth???
frank

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Here Ya go Drags a little story bout my life and you may want to go have that leg xrayed.Mine started to go thru and right when it got to the bottom of the stroke she kicked back and i was on the floor in a fetal position.My leg broke all the way across rt below the knee and my painter and I could hear it break.It maybe more than just hyper extended.Well anyhow that might tell you also that the timing is off and could be your running problem as well.I now have devised a way wear I stand next to the bike and start it with my left leg while keeping it bent as to not hyper extend it.Goodluck now your gonna be down with the sportster limp.:)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46676

Shoe

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yep. Sorry that it happened, but it was just a matter of time before it happened. Old kick start Sportsters demand their toll if you want to ride!
I did it twice in one day (slow learner) over 30 years ago and still walk with a slight limp.
Hank

·
Registered
936 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
And here I thought you were going to say your wallet. I know mine is. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sportster Leg.. You used to be able to tell who owned a Kicker Sporty in a crowd by watching them limp around. Sorry your hurting. They all do it to some degree, But if it seems like it kicks thru a lot you will need to check out the kicker gear set. Pull the clutch pak and on the back side of the clutch drum is a plate with teeth, they should have sharp corners. Next and most important is the kicker gear that meshes with that drum gear. It's a set with a gear, brass bushing, spring and steel sleve. All teeth on the gear Must have sharp corners and Most importantly their should be slop between the sleve and bushing or the bushing and gear. ANY wobble here will cause the kicker to skip thru. To fix a wobbly set you buy the bushing and sleve. The bushing presses into the gear and then is honed for the sleve to fit with a snug .001-.0015 fit on a sunden hone. Most engine shops can do this for you. Properly done, kick thrus will be rare and you might even get to walk normaly for a while.. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No shit Pony, Puckett's been gone years ago man. Puckett Built V-Twins, it said that on the wall years after they closed shop, those engines were famous in these parts. It's a marble place or something now.

Hey Mike, welcome to the wonderful world of kickstarting, it can be a bitch sometimes, but you'll find her sweet spot and you'll get it just so.

Pictures, please.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nads. I left Pucketts around 1974 and went out to LA and worked a HD shop out there. It was a killer place to work, I was in my early 20's and they gave me a chance, my first day I dropped a shop custom sportster off a lift and They Still Kept me. In 72 Louie the owner retired and gave it to his son Buddy. In 74 Buddy descovered coke and the place went down fast. Most everyone left in 74. It was sad, that place had been there since the 20's and the old timers knew their shit, I learned a lot while I worked there. Buddy was a hell of a rider, he rode our flat tracker and pro stock drag bike and won most of the time, he just couldn't deal with money.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That's so cool, what a great story.
I moved to Orlando in '81 and I think Puckett's was gone by then but the sign was still there.
I asked some folks at Dick Farmer's HD about what Puckett's was, obviously the VTwin part meant some sort of American bike. Some of the 'ol timers knew about the shop, when did it finally close?

Now Dick Farmer's turned into Orlando Harley Davidson and they have the hideous 'historic factory' showroom. It's sad man, sad.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.