Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley Davidson will no longer let its dealers sell parts to aftermarket shops, without many hoops. My local dealer will not sell me an o-ring anymore even if I show up at the parts counter and try to by at full retail as a customer because they know I run an aftermarket shop. Another example of HD's greed. Other dealers will not sell to me because I am out of they're designated territory. I'm searching for a loop hole, any advice is welcome...I know that you guys are pretty resourceful.

·
Registered
665 Posts
*After they found Out that They Cannot Survive on Selling 60.00 Sweatshirts as well as Dumping Eric Buell, I guess they are desparate but you would think that in this Crap Economy All would be welcome.. What I have Learned in Life is that the Corporate Way of Thinking goes against any common sense at all.....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My local dealer still helps me. But I buy alot from Jims Harley in Mendon Ohio. 419 795 4185. Worked for him at the dealership from 1995 till 2001. And for years at his booth in Sturgis South Dakota. Probably 1983 till he stopped going. Any way he still helps me out. I heard about that B/S with the factory. Why they are so messed up they are getting there money when the dealer buys the parts he is selling you. Plus the most dealers don't do anything over 10 years old anyway. Good Luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
My local dealer still helps me. But I buy alot from Jims Harley in Mendon Ohio. 419 795 4185. Worked for him at the dealership from 1995 till 2001. And for years at his booth in Sturgis South Dakota. Probably 1983 till he stopped going. Any way he still helps me out. I heard about that B/S with the factory. Why they are so messed up they are getting there money when the dealer buys the parts he is selling you. Plus the most dealers don't do anything over 10 years old anyway. Good Luck
+1 for Jim's. I've ordered parts from them several times in the past. Had some hard to find stuff no one else had at really good prices. Had the stuff to me in less than a week. Good people.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Actually part of a larger change in corporate policy . Those changes include:

No sales of new parts , accessories or bikes to Non-US citizens from August 2011

No sales of parts to non-HD approved shops or dealerships

No internet , eBay , Amazon or ANY online sales of any kind from January 2012 .

No selling of parts consignments to ANY third party for resale including Old Stock

Blacklisting of all known addresses of businesses that re-mail parts outside the USA

Legal action to remove the franchises of any HD USA dealer who breaks those rules

Sucks but not alot we can do about it . St Pauls HD have started legal action against the MoCo www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-harley-davidsonsu,0,1571985.story

·
Registered
2 Posts
first ive heard of this, not saying its not true,but if im a manufacture and sell you a part for 10.00 and it retails for 20.00 even if you sell it for 8.00 i win you lose, got to be something else, will ask i work for shop that does a lot of genuine harley pts.but stranger things have happened,not the first time harley bit the hand that feeds.and who ever brought up Buell i think he would rather forget them than they forget him,way to smart for a company that goes backwards,ie fxr to fxd :D:D:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
They are not allowed to accept a non-US issued credit card , non-US address or the address of a known postal forwarding service . They are not supposed to accept orders from Non-US email accounts either .

·
Registered
712 Posts
first ive heard of this, not saying its not true,but if im a manufacture and sell you a part for 10.00 and it retails for 20.00 even if you sell it for 8.00 i win you lose, got to be something else, will ask i work for shop that does a lot of genuine harley pts.but stranger things have happened,not the first time harley bit the hand that feeds.and who ever brought up Buell i think he would rather forget them than they forget him,way to smart for a company that goes backwards,ie fxr to fxd :D:D:D
All true Pat . We Aussies started receiving emails from the US HD dealers we buy from 6 months ago explaining that they were no longer allowed to sell to us. Not just Australia it turned out but everywhere outside the USA .

Anti Competitive and it will cost American Jobs . It doesn't mean that people will go back to being raped by their local dealer it just means that they will loose business to the aftermarket sector . There is a huge backlash against it over here and there is alot of support for the US dealers like St Pauls that are trying to get the MoCo to reverse these crazy rules .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
So, have any of you independent dealers besides Dark Goat been banned from buying parts yet?? I haven't been in the dealership in about a month, so I'm just curious.

I guess CCI and DS really like the new restrictions.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Actually part of a larger change in corporate policy . Those changes include:

No sales of new parts , accessories or bikes to Non-US citizens from August 2011

No sales of parts to non-HD approved shops or dealerships

No internet , eBay , Amazon or ANY online sales of any kind from January 2012 .

No selling of parts consignments to ANY third party for resale including Old Stock

Blacklisting of all known addresses of businesses that re-mail parts outside the USA

Legal action to remove the franchises of any HD USA dealer who breaks those rules

Sucks but not alot we can do about it . St Pauls HD have started legal action against the MoCo www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-harley-davidsonsu,0,1571985.story
But they're going to build factories in India and China.

UN. FUCKING. BELIEVABLE.

Well, I bought my 97 used, and made all the custom parts on it. But after seeing all the bullshit the company has pulled, and their obvious disregard for keeping jobs in America, if I ever build another bike, I'm just gonna get a KZ1000 engine and build a chopper around it because HD no longer represents me as an American.

So FUCK THEM. They've become nothing but a bunch of yuppies that markets their shit to gay leather fetishists. I should put fucking Honda Shadow decals on my chop.

I imagine they'll try to go after the after market next. Cock suckers.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
HD is not entirely to blame, it's the dealers whining about internet sales. Same thing is happening here with bicycle shops. They don't give a shit about customers, only selling a bike and pushing you out the door. I needed a new intermediate cog for my MTB, and now it's been on order at the LBS for 7 months. They were more than willing to sell me a new crank set or a new bike but parts, that's in the too hard basket. Bought what I needed from the UK, ten days to get it and they send extra stuff and a discount voucher as well. Now the LBS's is whining to whomever will listen claiming that folk like me are wrecking their lives, killing kittens and are tax avoiders and should be prosecuted. It's never occured to them that maybe if they offered good service I'd go there for the stuff I need.

They factories in India and China are for bikes for those markets, not yours. It's cheaper to build there than to pay the taxes to get them in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow.
Let's see how many guys stick to their guns and stop buying if they start offshoring HD.
Yuppie Biker Fucks & Check book Lawyers don't give a Shit Where its Made, Just as long as it says HARLEY DAVIDSON on the Tank & they can get some Black HD T-Shirts, HD Biker Boots, HD Skull Caps & a pair of Leather Chaps they will be Cool Bikers !

Buy a Pan Head & Fuck all the New Shit ....

My answere to the GREEN movement ...

RECYCLE ...... Build an Old Bike :cool:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
For many people, I think it's been a love/hate relationship with HD for decades. Love the bikes, hate the factory.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.