Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I've got this medical "thing" with my left wrist and elbow. It just doesn't want to heal and makes using my hand and arm painful. I rode the Pan today and that old mouse trap clutch is just killing me.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find the sweet spot between easy to pull and no clutch slip, but even the best I can find, it kills me.

I was wondering if anyone has ever installed one of those hydraulic or EZ pull clutch levers. Do they work? It might take some creative engineering to hook to a mouse trap, but... if it gets me riding without the pain, I'm up for it.

Or maybe I'm just not finding the right setting on the mousetrap.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would jockey be easier? Uses big arm muscles to shift, not little hand ones for the clutch.
News.... I'm almost 60... 5'5"... and a buck fifty. No big arms either.

I thought about Jockey Shift. But with no front brake I've got enough going through my head on these crowded New Jersey streets. I cannot imagine having to remove one hand from the bars, putting both feet on different pedals... etc... as an idiot NJ/NY driver pulls out in front of me.

If I add a front brake, I might consider jokey shift. Haven't ridden one in nearly 40 years, but I think I can pull it together.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I've installed/tested the EZ pull deal that goes under the clutch lever. It eases the pull a little, and it helps holding the lever against the bars a lot. A high dollar solution might be one of the lockup pressure plates. They increase pressure on the plates as RPM goes up, so you can probably get by with pretty light spring pressure at idle. Here's a link to Barnett's. There are others as well. http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/scorpion_clutch_components.aspx?cat_id=1&type=LO&prod_id=382

Also, like Roach suggests, a tank shift, or one that pivots on the top motor mount, won't take your hand as far away from the bars, and a rocker clutch makes your footwork a little less tricky.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i have screwed up hands and I have the same problem. i bought a $25 e z pull kit , it worked great. made the clutch pull noticeably lighter. It was basically a longer lever that the cable attached to in the trans. and a spacer on the outside of the trans cover. quick install too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have installed ez clutch on 2009 sportster for the wife. You can pull the stock clutch lever with one finger. It is a a easy install with new clutch ramp and balls.
Harleyguy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts