Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buudy has been asked to make a skinny tank for a customer's '07 sporty and asked if I could look into replacing the stock pump with an external unit. I researched all the working parts and required regulator pressure. I found it to be within 38-45 psi. So I located an MSD universal external pump and adjustable regulator and am almost ready to pull the trigger.
Does anyone here have experience with this swap? The wiring seems pretty staight forward so I'm not worried abou that. I will be adding an inline schrader valve to check the appropriate pressure and an inline filter. I know it seems kinda dumb putting all this shit on the outside which was all once hidden, but isn't this what chopping is all about? I'm thinking about making a cool shroud/coil mount to cover all our hard work, hahaha.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Your biggest problems will be heat and the return line. The pumps are inside the tank to cool them by immersion in the fuel.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Your biggest problems will be heat and the return line. The pumps are inside the tank to cool them by immersion in the fuel.
Ain't that the truth! Harleys are prone to fuel pump failure from consistently running low fuel level in the tank just like cars and trucks where the fuel pumps are located in the fuel tank and designed (cheaper) to be cooled by the fuel.

I wonder if this MSD pump might not be a superior design specifically for higher ambient temperatures?

Regards,
Geo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.