Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any tips on cleaning out the exhaust chamber with out removing the head (64 TR6). I've seemed to get some build up in there after getting my carb dialed in. I've heard an ounce of acetone per 2 gallons of gas. That sounds like a farm equipment type remedy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Theres only 1 good way to clean it and its to pull, dissasemble it and glass bead it. If it needs cleanning i bet your using oil.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By "using oil" do mean consuming too much oil. The exhaust chambers have been polished. If I rub my finger inside the chamber it wipes right off. It is like one of the black dry erase markers. I have not noticed any wet or fresh oil residue.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably read too much into these things. Probably am getting too technical. OCD tends to get the best of me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i thought i read somewhere ( Phil Irving? )that a little carbon build up isn't such a bad thing, it's a poor heat conductor so helps stop the ports/ head absorb heat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The book for my t140 says not to decarbonise unless theres a drastic falling off in power or compression. x's put a good tank of gas in it and ride it. my .02$

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just asking. I spent so much time making it pretty and no time at all getting it all dirty. Thanks Unkl Ian, I guess I walked into that one.:)

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's the inside of the motor, as long as it runs, run it. Even if you take it to a show, they arent going to look at the inside of the motor.

But for what its worth, it does look good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but this sounds more like a tuning issue than a cleaning issue to me. just out of curiosity what color are your header pipes ?, what color are your plugs ?
What fuel ? do you use an additive, so many questions :)

By the way, as this thread contains the words and phrases "ounce","acetone","gallons of gas" & "farm equipment" If the D.E.A ask I was never here :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Anybody got any tips on cleaning out the exhaust chamber with out removing the head (64 TR6). I've seemed to get some build up in there after getting my carb dialed in. I've heard an ounce of acetone per 2 gallons of gas. That sounds like a farm equipment type remedy.
Yes.

First what NOT to do:

Do not add acetone to your gas. It will quickly DESTROY anything not made of metal in your fuel system.

Here's what you do:

Remove the air cleaner.

Start the bike and let it come up to full operating temp (about 3 minutes).

Using an old windex bottle re-filled with water, and the spray nozzle adjusted to "mist", perform the following:

With the spray bottle in one hand, and the throttle in the other, bring the engine up to between 3000 and 3500 rpm, and spray water into the carb.

Spray enough into the carb to cause the engine to miss. The second you hear it stumble, stop spraying, and use the throttle to bring the motor back to life.

You can repeat the process. No water ever actually gets into anything except the combustion chamber where it's instantly converted to steam. That steam will remove the deposits from the combustion chamber, valves, spark-plugs, AND your exhaust ports and head pipes.

Don't thank me, just send beer:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but this sounds more like a tuning issue than a cleaning issue to me. just out of curiosity what color are your header pipes ?, what color are your plugs ?
What fuel ? do you use an additive, so many questions :)

whoops, wrong post. Never mind.<<<<<<<

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally it was a tuning issue. I now have it dialed in. Was fishing for advice, if any on the topic and kinda of was hoping for more smart ass remarks. There was a couple goods ones, you probably could have done better.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts