Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've determined that i'll most likely have to eventually wind up building the set of pipes i really want (see g griffin's and irish rich's white heat)...

any tips on calculating or determining the head pipe bends so i dont waste a couple of perfectly good u-bends??

and how many u bends (i'm thinking speedway?) should i need?

any input would be greatly appreciated...
thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Magnum Force Racing has good bends too for a good price. I think Rich was the one who told me about that one. I'm probably going to end up doing my own also. I was planning on ordering from there if someone didn't have them locally for a decent price. They have stainless also. http://www.magnumforce.com/ubend.asp

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's a great question! I would also like to know that. If we can get Irish Rich to ring in, I have a feeling he might know the answer to that.
caffeine said:
has anyone every tried to make a set out of stainless and polish them? or does it tarnish super quick.

just a stupid question, but curious.

·
Registered
581 Posts
scootermcrad said:
That's a great question! I would also like to know that. If we can get Irish Rich to ring in, I have a feeling he might know the answer to that.
You see varriation by grade like T 304 etc... but in general it will yellow. Look at a Buell, the same reason HD does not use it as a exposed surface exhaust material. May actually bend nicer than the steel again grade dependent, it also will take higher temps than say regular mild steel and will not rust again grade dependent. TI would be a nice choice if you can find it in your size, the west coast guys may have a source.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Buy a box of bending mistakes in your desired diameter from stahl headers. You'll get enough to make 6 sets of pipes.

On the stainless vs. mild steel question, if you are chroming or ceramic coating the pipes, then it doesn't matter what you use. But if you are wrapping them, bbq painting them or just leaving them raw, then I would run stainless.

alteredpilot said:
so i've determined that i'll most likely have to eventually wind up building the set of pipes i really want (see g griffin's and irish rich's white heat)...

any tips on calculating or determining the head pipe bends so i dont waste a couple of perfectly good u-bends??

and how many u bends (i'm thinking speedway?) should i need?

any input would be greatly appreciated...
thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts