Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding this weekend, and noticed that my Sportster is making an audible "whirring" or "whining" noise while riding. I only notice it at decel, but I probably just cant hear it at speed. It doesn't make the noise while sitting still and running, and doesn't start right away after taking off from a light. It's constant with the clutch in or out, and it stops abruptly once I slow to about 10 mph. I have read a number of treads on a number of websites, and heard everything from "no big deal" to "you're about to grenade your transmission" and I wonder if anyone has insight. I believe I read somewhere that Evos have shitty failure-prone main shaft bearings, but I can't seem to find it now. Oh, and its a 5-speed, with 25k on the clock (a little over 20 of that in the last 2 years) and hasn't had anything done to the tranny, or the case apart. Anyone?

G

·
Think I would take a look at the primary chain ...25K is about the life of them..

By doing a new replace to it and perhaps installing a York Self Adjusting Chain Tensioner and Nylon pad would also be good timing..

The 5-speed tranny are fairly Heavy-Duty .... Not saying that a bearing couldn't be going South....Who knows if it wasn't run low of lube sometime in it's life..??

I have over 50K on a 92....And big time Horse-Power going through it...
Did a Zipper's door and Baker's reversed shift pattern, all else is H-D stock stuff....
Still ticking like a Timex Watch

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just changed the fluids recently (prolly 2k ago), and I know I filled it...maybe I'll check again to be safe. And my drive belt does seem pretty loose. I'll hit those up tonight, and take it out for a test run tomorrow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i would check and adjust your primary chain and then check the drive belt to make sure its tracking correctly. make sure your pulleys are aligned properly and your wheel is straight. then check the tension. a little loose is better than a little too tight. i also remember reading that belts will thighten a little after they warm up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.