Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of EVO sportster questions.

One: can a evo be converted to a magneto, I said NO but my buddy asked why not and I did not know.

Two: does anybody know of a bolt/weld on rigid kit for evo sprtys? I want to keep my old numbers on the neck and am ready to chop the frame (esp after reading the current issue of the horse,) but I am now wondering if there is a kit, like for the ironheads?

·
Registered
373 Posts
www.kansaskustoms for the weld on...I think a cam chest cover that takes a mag is made for an evo sporty , can't remember by who though, I have a pic somewhere...bike still has to have a battery though, no kicker...

big_al said:

One: can a evo be converted to a magneto, I said NO but my buddy asked why not and I did not know.

Two: does anybody know of a bolt/weld on rigid kit for evo sprtys? I want to keep my old numbers on the neck and am ready to chop the frame (esp after reading the current issue of the horse,) but I am now wondering if there is a kit, like for the ironheads?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eric123 said:
www.kansaskustoms for the weld on...I think a cam chest cover that takes a mag is made for an evo sporty , can't remember by who though, I have a pic somewhere...bike still has to have a battery though, no kicker...
ummm...right....I guess that would make it kind of pointless......unless I wanted to have more shit hanging off my bike rather than less

So let's get working on a kicker conversion for an evo sporty

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eric123 said:
that link doesn't work

·
Registered
523 Posts
big_al said:

Hey man, I have just finished mine, It was a stock 86 sporty with loads of chrome dress up crap that I sold on egay. The guys at chops n bobbers welded on the hardtail so I could keep the frame # 'cos over here the title is on the frame not the engine. I got the idea from the great Irish Rich ( how are you mate?) on his shamrock fabrications website. If you need any help don't hesitate to get in touch 'cos I did a lot of head scratching on the rest of the build. Thinking about doing a build up article in the next issue of the mag but not sure, it might be a bit lame.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt D said:
Hey man, I have just finished mine, It was a stock 86 sporty with loads of chrome dress up crap that I sold on egay. The guys at chops n bobbers welded on the hardtail so I could keep the frame # 'cos over here the title is on the frame not the engine. I got the idea from the great Irish Rich ( how are you mate?) on his shamrock fabrications website. If you need any help don't hesitate to get in touch 'cos I did a lot of head scratching on the rest of the build. Thinking about doing a build up article in the next issue of the mag but not sure, it might be a bit lame.
That looks great, I might be in touch.......I have lots of support here in Houston, but I like your look....the Evo Sporty is an overlooked engine with great potential for hot rodding and chopping/bobbing!!!

If only there was a kicker conversion.............

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Damn, Matt D., that Sporty is everything a chop should be. Nothing more, nothing less. It's beautiful, if only for its purposefulness. Nice job. Thanks for not adding silly shit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's the only way I've seen to add a kicker to an Evo Sporty. It's from a Cycleworld article called "The Lost Specials". It mounts where the old electric unit goes. He calls his XL in a Norton Featherbed frame the "Nortley Fartster". Great engineering. If the picture didn't work, go to
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=111

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
No kicker except the one shown above or by cutting the tranny off and using
a BT tranny like LedSleds has done. There's some rumors going around that
the dude that designed the Nightster is petitioning for a kicker option in the
rubber mount Sportys, but if that ever happened it most likely wouldn't fit a
rigid mounted EVO engine.

Buttas over at Quad Cam Bastards just recently put a mag on an EVO. I can't
remember who made it, but he said the company recently went out of
buisness? A few of the mags might still be available, but they're getting rare.

Not quite done yet but this is my Kansas Kustom weldon on a '93. Bill at KK
was a great guy to work with over the phone. Met him at the smokeout and
seemed an even better dude in person.

Gazza

·
Registered
10 Posts
does anybody know of a bolt/weld on rigid kit for evo sprtys? I want to keep my old numbers on the neck
Keeping the Harley VIN was also my priority. Here's my Led Sled Customs weld-on hardtail on a 2003. It's almost done. They are nice people to deal with, with a quality product. In the end, I chose Led Sled over Kansas Kustom because of the much heavier rear engine mount. Instead of sheet metal, it's heavy bar stock like Paughco's. The Kansas one is nice too, don't be hatin'.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
+2 for Bill Dulling from Kansas Kustoms..
He does have a sporty weld on.
good dude...good prices..good work and lightning fast on the shipping to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i just got my first sporty here a little bit ago. i love all the things i learned i can do with it and not have to invent the way to do it like i have on my other projects. that is the cool thing about playing with these sporties, someone else most likely has done it already.

kind of wish i saw how Matt D did his hardtail, i would have went that way myself but i am more than happy with what i have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts