Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe any EVO Sportster engine up to 03? will fit into any ironhead frame (non early xlch strait tube) with the correct rear, front, top mounts. Can anyone verify for sure, has anyone here done this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Besides what kickstarts already posted, it cannot be done without surgery all around the inner front hoop of the frame. Evo XL motors have many dimensional diffferences-wider cases and rear rocker box height that come to light quickly. So-short answer no.....willing to modify if needed-sure.

Justen

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
82 was the first EVO type frame even though they made the ironhead until 85.
I have installed late 60's engines into a 82 type frame w/ compatiable mounts.
That's why, I figured the opposite could be done.

Does anyone have actual experience trying to install an EVO into an iron frame or it is just what you have heard through the grapevine?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have a Buell project at the moment, 2006 XB9 going into a 1968 frame and it took some serious surgery to even get the engine to slide into the frame. I had to extend the front tubes by about 1 7/8", raise the seat post tubes a little less because they are on a different angle than the front down tubes and extend the backbone by about 3/4" as the front and back tube angles move away from each other.

I know the standard Evo and Buell XB engines are different but the bottom of the Evo engine sits IN the lower rails where the Ironhead cases hover over the bottom rails. Add to that the increased height of the top end over the Ironhead and it just ain't happenin. I've measured for An Evo engine and there's no way without extensive surgery.

I think Roach on here tried and gave up if I'm mistaken. Anything can be done, why don't you go for it and start a thread, I for one would love to see it as would a multitude of other members. Use the article I posted as a loose guideline and got for it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok let me specify.
82 frame which is same from 82-84, after that the factory made cheaper front mount tabs,as far as I knew the rest of the frame stayed the same other than a few brackets or gussets. (82-84 front mounts bolt through down tubes)

A friend is looking at buying a project w/ a 82 frame that has a weld on hardtail.
The engine is a 2000 EVO.
He was told the engine was installed in the 82 frame previously for mock up.

You guys seem to say no way as have others on other forums!

So let me rephrase the question; EVO sportster into a 1982 frame?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a '79 frame that ws hillclimbed with a 90's Evo in it. The inner framerails (lower) were sectioned heavily for the extra case width....the frame could likely have been spread after removing the regulator mount and some more creative thinking. Same with the rear rocker box height.....the frame isn't stock already with the weld on hardtail.....if there's paper with the '82 frame keep working on it until it fits!!

The answer is yes. But not slip in and go.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Ok let me specify.
82 frame which is same from 82-84, after that the factory made cheaper front mount tabs,as far as I knew the rest of the frame stayed the same other than a few brackets or gussets. (82-84 front mounts bolt through down tubes)

A friend is looking at buying a project w/ a 82 frame that has a weld on hardtail.
The engine is a 2000 EVO.
He was told the engine was installed in the 82 frame previously for mock up.

You guys seem to say no way as have others on other forums!

So let me rephrase the question; EVO sportster into a 1982 frame?
What I've heard is that there's a difference in cases between 4 and 5 speed and there's a change to the rear engine mount on the Evo somewhere between the start of Evo production and 2000.

In other words...I don't know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, Chevelle was asking because my son Chris bought a project bike. Buell lightning engine and an '82 iron hardtail frame.

So, to answer the question, yes it fits. No hacking, grinding, beating or anything else, just slide it home.

Cliff Ramsdell

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
What Cliff shows is correct, it will just slip in, the only thing to be aware of is the engine offset is different between Ironheads and Evos. The EVO engine actually sits about 1/2" further to the right in a 82 ironhead frame than it would in an EVO specific frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The offset could be a help because he's running a 200 rear tire, we'll see as he's working on the rear wheel mockup for the spacer sizes today.

Cliff Ramsdell

What Cliff shows is correct, it will just slip in, the only thing to be aware of is the engine offset is different between Ironheads and Evos. The EVO engine actually sits about 1/2" further to the right in a 82 ironhead frame than it would in an EVO specific frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is great info here. I just have one question I have an 84 ironhead rigid frame and I'm looking for a spare drivetrain. Which year buell models will "slide right in"?
Motor is from a 96' lightning. It's what came with the project, I wouldn't have killed one to get that particular motor since it's not really that much better than a regular 1200 of the same year (lightning heads and SE cams).

Any frame mount sportster motor (86-03) or tube frame buell (96-02) will fit. The 96-98 buell motors are not that much better, but the 99-02 have better heads as well as the SE cams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.