Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drug a new tire,tube and wheel down to the local independent M/C shop (does 99% HD work). Asked them to mount up the tire and they refused due to liability. I said how do ya figure? He said that they don't know where the tire came from or the wheel and if something happened I could sue them. I said "you don't know that info about anything that rolls in the door". I knew there had to be more to this bullshit so I asked "if I bought it here would you mount it?" He said sure.

I've bought some things there before but like most of us I have stashes of shit I bought all over the place including this wheel and tire. Needless to say i ain't going back unless I'm on fire and he has an extinguisher and maybe not then.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It all started with that stupid kid in Mississauga Ontario, maybe 25 or 30 years ago, who road his dirt bike into a closed construction site with no trespassing signs, crashed, broke his back and the family sued them for over a million $. The precedent was set, this is how North America became sue happy. Everyone is paranoid about liability.

But in this case, I think they were just pissed you didn't buy the tire from them.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thats the problem with liability laws these days. No one wants to "take a chance". Pop the tire on yourself. Its not a big deal.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No its not a big deal but I'd rather being doing something else on my build than dicking around with a tire ya know? I'm quite sure this clown's standard answer to everything is "liability" and it just didn't apply here.
Then again it's the kind of shop where 3 old farts sit around swapping war stories while one guy works so maybe I'm better off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There's a local shop that just won't work on Harleys only because of the people involved! but they swap my tires no problem when I bring the wheels.

·
Registered
439 Posts
shop by me charges 30 freaking bucks to mount a tire if you dont buy it from him, that was the cost of my set of irons and i've never gone back

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hell bring it over we mount them all the time 30 to 35 bucks off the bike 50 to 150 on the bike. I also will tell you up front the I don't know if it will have any new scratches in your rim. Some of those fat tire motorcycles are way to fancy or me. But you need to realize the the mail order people won't come to your house if you have a problem so support your local shops when you can.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The local Yamaha dealer here had the same thing happen. Guy goes in with a tire he bought off eBay and had them mount it, tire goes bad, dude goes down and the thanks the dealer gets is guy sues them and wins. I worked at an indy HD shop and dudes would get pissed when we wouldn't mount their "got it cheaper off the internet then I would've got it here" tire. Shops make money on what they sell and have bills to pay,too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about liability, but a lot of dealers and Indys don't like mounting tires that somebody got cheap on online somewhere.
I don't blame them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Here in Jersey, it's that way too. And most places want $40 to mount it. They also won't work on anything older than an evo. I do pretty much everything myself, and have been using the same trusted shop (Mal Ross in Spring Valley, NY) for my machine work for the past 20 years. If he was closer to me, I would by all my parts from him. He's cool with doing my machine work and letting me do reassembly. Plus always gives good advice. You can't put a price on that.. If he ever retires, I'm f*cked. Keep your local Indy shop in business.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't like mounting tires. And I always end up buying used wheels, or even new off Ebay, but I ALWAYS buy the tires at a shop so I can get them mounted. They all say it's "free" but I'm sure they pad the price of the tire alittle. I don't care, saves me the hassle of mounting it and wrestling around trying to mount it myself.

Bottom line is: The amount you save on an internet "deal" on a tire, your going to have to pay that same amount (or even more) to have it mounted. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and support a local shop by buying the tire there.

Sixball

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have witnessed this a lot. Look at it from the shop owners point of view.

Someone comes in and asks the guy "How much for a tire" Owner takes the time to look it up, give him a price, etc. The guy says "No thanks and goes home and gets one off of the internet. Then can't mount it him self, so he goes back to the shop again. "Hey can you mount this for me??" Now the guy has to take the time to give you a price that he already knows is too much 'cause you're a keen little shopper, only to say. "Dude that's too much. Now the guy has a lot of time in it and still no money in his hand and he knows darn right well that if there's the tiniest little knick in your crusty old rim, he's gonna have to pay for a new one on his dime.

It's a lot easier in the guy that's already going broke to just give you some insurance line. Even if you do buy the tire from him, you can still sue him if something happens. He'll sleep better though knowing he made that killer mark up of about 6 bux if you got the tire from him too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The antique Sinclair station by me is run by an awesome old timer and he dismounts and mounts my tires for free because he's cool like that. I throw him $20 anyways and he's happy to hear about what I'm building. He's also the only mechanic I know that has a loooooong ass line of cars coming to be worked on every day. Word gets around if you're a good mechanic AND you aren't a dick. Few and far between these days. I'm a shop teacher and we just mounted and balanced 3 complete sets of tires (12 tires) on students cars and trucks in the last hour, maybe I need to be more of a dick and just give my students a long speech about liability, it would make my job a lot easier if I didn't have to do anything.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
... and we just mounted and balanced 3 complete sets of tires (12 tires) on students cars and trucks in the last hour,
I had a blow out on the road last year, in my daily driver barge;
destroyed one of my snow tires. No problem, I think,
buy 2 new ones and be on my way.

First off, the IDIOTS behind the counter would not sell me
2 snow tires, some bullshit "company policy" about liability.
They wanted to sell me 4. Not happening. I was pressed
for time, so I bought 2 regular tires.

Then it took the CLOWN an hour to change two tires.

Guess why I don't deal with Canadian Tire anymore.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here in IL. where I live. The local shop wants $40.-$50. to mount a tire. And I have it half way on. My neighbor took his out and they charged him double. Because he bought the tire on line to save a few bucks. So much for the HONDA shop.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Try taking your own parts to a Honda/Harley/Ford/Chevrolet dealership and ask to have them put on and see what happens.

No reason an independant should be any different. The dealer has a few options. Charge the same as you do a customer that buys his parts from you and they probably won't make enough to keep the doors open. Charge more on carry in parts and listen to folks bitch. Or tell them the liability deal and send them down the road.

Another thing. IF you do mount the tire for a break even price, guess who's gonna go tell their buddies and next thing you know everyone coming through the door is carrying Jirah packages they want you to install and guarantee.

No thanks.
Larry T

BTW Takehikes, did Tom McMullen mount tires that other folks had sold the customer at his retail location?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Here in IL. where I live. The local shop wants $40.-$50. to mount a tire. And I have it half way on. My neighbor took his out and they charged him double. Because he bought the tire on line to save a few bucks. So much for the HONDA shop.
Do you go into a restaurant with your own food and ask them to cook it for you?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts