Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking my sporty up to the local strip for the weekly "Test and Tune" night. The bike is pretty much stock - rejetted carb, exhaust, air cleaner, coil - and I'm running 13.3's at about 99mph.

I know this isn't very fast, but don't think it's too bad for a bike with not much done to it, and a rider who doesn't know what he's doing. I think with some more practice, I can definitely get into the high 12's. I'd like to ultimately beef things up and run in the mid 11's (if not faster).

Any of you got ET's/MpH's like this on a sporty? If so, what all have you done to your motors?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
low-mid 12s are possible with andrews cam, s&S carb, straight or reworked pipes, and maybe a sprocket...

shit man, low 13s lays WASTE to the bigger harleys, LOL.... shit is fast enough

mid 11s or faster makes for an unreliable bike with big compression, cam too harsh for street, and more mods and expense than you wanna deal with

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
51rat said:
low-mid 12s are possible with andrews cam, s&S carb, straight or reworked pipes, and maybe a sprocket...

shit man, low 13s lays WASTE to the bigger harleys, LOL.... shit is fast enough

mid 11s or faster makes for an unreliable bike with big compression, cam too harsh for street, and more mods and expense than you wanna deal with
Too late...i'm hooked...faster, faster, faster.

My buddy built a big twin that is running mid 11's now. He's trying to get it into the 10's so he can race AHDRA next year. I am jealous.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You ride that thing on the street? 11s are going to make you unhappy when you try to pass granny in top gear.

Oh yeah, that's what BTs are for.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To keep thing reliable and functional enough to still be a daily rider, where should the performance mods stop. Or, phrased differently, at what point do the performance mods start taking away from the reliability of the bike?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im not all that experienced but with performance mods, reliabilty doesnt stop untill the owner gets to lazy to perform checks on it routinely..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mute said:
Im not all that experienced but with performance mods, reliabilty doesnt stop untill the owner gets to lazy to perform checks on it routinely..
ha...well said.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
that being said, even the BEST upkeep on parts built to the limits will still have the parts blow up... i mean shit, if that theory was right, top fueler motors could make it more than a few runs, LOL...

·
Registered
236 Posts
hes looking for 10s or so though, not 4's.. lol

By checking everything I mean keep a good ear open, change the oil a lot more than normal, keep a close eye on the timing.. all the stuff that if you are drag racing you would do anyway, less you are made of money anyway..

·
Registered
237 Posts
hogtownhd said:
To keep thing reliable and functional enough to still be a daily rider, where should the performance mods stop. Or, phrased differently, at what point do the performance mods start taking away from the reliability of the bike?
Check out this guy:

http://www.mklsportster.com/

As to your question:

If you start boring the cases for bigger pistons, increasing compression beyond 10.5:1 or so, running high lift high duration cams at 7,500 RPM, your going to tear shit up - and not just the engine - clutches, tranny, etc.

Drag racing is an expensive hobby.

Modify the heads to flow real well, check into shrink porting, bigger isn't always better, velocity is king. Run good pipes - thunderheader -, keep the revs below 7,000 (need good valve springs)

For reliability and performance, matched components / proven systems are important. Many companies offer matched components - head work, cams, carbs. Course, it is more fun to do yourself if you don't mind being down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts