Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as i understand you ex colonials have had ethynol around for longer and in larger % by volume in your fuel.

not really a Q for evo engine owners of older HD's and brit owners, what is your expereience / opinion, regular faults any ways to compensate for the ungodly sh*t?.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I run it (no way around that) but I don't use additive. I can't get my head around something maintaining a molten state like lead does and then just return to being a fluid again when it's sitting in the tank. The new stuff is even worse than 5-10 years ago and it can eat your seals/hoses pretty quick. Just shell out the extra cents and buy Vortex Red.

That's riding early 70's Triumphs and Harleys btw.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The bike shop i worked in had quite a few motor failures back in the late 90's mostly related from the new ethanol fuels, holes in pistons in old Brit bikes from bad fuel detonation, burnt valves in old HD's and not 1 or 2 bikes more like 8 or 10 old bikes right around that time.

It's possible a % of these bikes were on there last legs and the ethanol gas sent them over the edge.

Doesy has already mention some of the problems, today if the Ethanol fuel sits too long in your carby it goes like a jelly substance and blocks jets really easy, especially in small Chinese and jap bikes.

I make it a habit to use a premium fuel with an additive every 2nd or 3rd tank of gas, its worked for me so far.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones...living on the coast I have access to "marine gas"...non-ethynol...cost more, but cheap insurance in my book. Especially after holing a piston....but being fair I believe it was due to a leaky intake or timing issue..

·
Banned
700 Posts
Here we go again, Folks...

We all know adding ethanol to gasoline is stupid.

But 'gels' are the result of extraneous additives, gongealing dissolved plastics and rubbers, often not from the pump!

Most horror stories about ethanol in fuels involve digestivity, which must be blamed upon injector cleaners, detergents, anti-foams, and the Federally-mandated Intake Valve Deposit additive (IVD) in conjunction with ethanol.

Ethanol is used to increase octane, reducing the combustion temperatures.
Holes in pistons results from excessively high temperatures, usually a vacuum leak.

Most often I encounter a light colored sandy deposit, and never a gel (attached; note bottle filled with the contents of a single carb).
The corrosive nature of ethanol even attacks brass.

Ethanol in fuels is a political problem.

.....Cotten

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
It eats up rubber components, The VITON coated tip on my Bendix carb swelled the stuck, ate up the internals to my Petcock, I replaced with a quality Pingel, Consider a Pingel Petcock as they are brass and aluminum and they only use an O ring to join the sections together, not the valve sealing port, it's a gamble out there now....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ethanol in fuels is a political problem.

.....Cotten[/QUOTE]

Corn into a gas additive? Now, only the politicians could come up with that.

Here in Florida, we have a grade of fuel, called "offroad fuel", that can be purchased at the pump, that is eythanol free. Cost more, but it takes you pretty close to original fuel. It was first in low octane, but now, I can get it in 93 octane, and I run it in all my old bikes. The new fuel, has a shelf life of a few months, the noneythanol fuel, can sit for a year or so, before it "smells bad". Not sure you can get it where you are, but it sure does help with bikes that sit for some time without running, and it seems to have better performance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Friday nights in summer brings "Cruise Night" to a local town (Somerville, NJ). The streets are lined with dozens of old cars and hot rods. I took my '51 Panhead down there and some old car/bike guys gathered around and chewed the fat for a while.

Basically, these guys with old cars buy their gas in gas cans. They let it sit for a couple of days before adding it to the car. Even then they run it through some kind of filter.

I don't remember hearing if they leave the cover off gas or not.

I'm wondering if the alcohol evaporates faster than the gas?!?

I'm working on a funnel with a large gas filter attached. Probably make it out of a can so I can put some kind of lid on it to keep it clean. Maybe just lay a coffee filter in the bottom.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you can be bothered it is relatively easy to remove the alcohol.Just add water which absorbs the alcohol and then won't mix with the other petrol components which will separate with the water/alcohol sitting on the bottom.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Friday nights in summer brings "Cruise Night" to a local town (Somerville, NJ). The streets are lined with dozens of old cars and hot rods. I took my '51 Panhead down there and some old car/bike guys gathered around and chewed the fat for a while.

Basically, these guys with old cars buy their gas in gas cans. They let it sit for a couple of days before adding it to the car. Even then they run it through some kind of filter.

I don't remember hearing if they leave the cover off gas or not.

I'm wondering if the alcohol evaporates faster than the gas?!?

I'm working on a funnel with a large gas filter attached. Probably make it out of a can so I can put some kind of lid on it to keep it clean. Maybe just lay a coffee filter in the bottom.
Willphelps,
the funnel rig you seek is available in marine stores. The are called Baja filters. designed to remove the common crud in fuel in the islands.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ethanol is added to gasoline as the oxygenate. It's not about politics, it's about pollution.
I've read here on JJ where one guy was using pure gas. When he compare his MPG vs cost... it was a wash. The pure gas cost more, but gave better MPG. In the end, he used the same amount of gasoline (not counting ethanol) to go a certain distance.

I don't remember the specific numbers, but if you're using the same amount gas to go the same distance, why the need to add corn?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
MPG is better without the Ethynol.....I made a trip to S.C. this summer, filled up in Savannah. The computer said 24.6 MPG and I burned close to a tank on the trip. On the way back I filled up with NON-ethynol in S.C..it was $.20 more per gallon. got home on just over half a tank and the computer showed 28.9 MPG..
It may be a wash in cost but not in efficiency....as for pollution, looks like a wash also...I guess....your burning less fuel, but it is worse....I can't see how burning more fuel with a additive produces LESS pollution when you take into account of the MANUFACTURING of the additive....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I've read here on JJ where one guy was using pure gas. When he compare his MPG vs cost... it was a wash. The pure gas cost more, but gave better MPG. In the end, he used the same amount of gasoline (not counting ethanol) to go a certain distance.

I don't remember the specific numbers, but if you're using the same amount gas to go the same distance, why the need to add corn?
Before ethanol, the added oxygenate was MTBE which was a horrible chemical pollutant/cancer causer. MTBE was replaced by ethanol as a safer oxygenate after MTBE was banned.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Ethanol is added to gasoline as the oxygenate. It's not about politics, it's about pollution.
Kickstarts!

If it didn't take more energy (i.e. 'carbon footprint') to produce it than we get back out of it, it would make a difference in pollution.
But instead, it is entirely subsidized by govenments, and that's why it is political.

95% ethanol/5% water is equivalent to 95 octane in an internal combustion motor, and economical to produce.
However, it cannot be added to gasoline without removing that last 5% of water, and that's where the economics goes down the drain.

If ethanol were left un-rectified, and used for dedicated vehicles designed for it (mass transit, stationary motors, etc..), it would make sense.
The technologies were all worked out by the 1930's!
But with govenments controlled by large lobbys, such as the petroleum industry, it will not happen.

....Cotten

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: Ethanol Experience

He Said: "it's about Poluution"
what a Crock of Crap 'with all due respects'

How much pollution is caused by Inefficient Vehicles running all over Gods Creation, My Neighbor (BMW Car Mech) says that the ethanol is eating up the primer in new cars gas tanks, it costs more to produce by farmers then the net gain, and the Obama adminisration Nixed new off shore drilling since the BP mess (not in our back yard) but has no issuess sending billions to Brazil for drilling,
less Miles Per Gal than Non Eth Gas= more pollution to accomplish the same travel..
Not efficient I would say,
You Bet it is Very Political...

·
Banned
700 Posts
Repeating for clarity Folks,

Nasty fuels ("P4gas") get their digestive character from all of the other additives, and ethanol is just stupid on the side.

Ethanol alone won't digest plastics, paints, sealers, etc.

Ethanol could aleviate some of our dependency upon fossil fuels, of course.
But it would be most practical, and beneficial, for small community cooperatives, producing it as 95/5 (with water), who would then use it locally for agricultural machinery, etc.

But we certainly cannot tolerate independent economies within our global agenda.

.....Cotten

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
This is another thread topic that should be shitcanned. It comes up every few months and it's been answered to death by people who aren't qualified to answer the question. The same thing with title threads, in my opinion.

Does gasoline containing ethanol eat rubber? Not in my experience it doesn't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.