Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got an engraved cover, & wondering if this style of engraving was a common thing.. can't find any info on the net & thought perhaps a member here could shed light on the subject. Both pics are of stuff engraved in the late 60's / early 70's. I'd like to get the rocker covers done to match.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Wiggle engraving. Common on brass instruments. Also a feature element on Western style gear. There's a vid somewhere on Facetube of a Japanese guy going at a sax with a monster graver that looks like a sharpened bastard file.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rocker engraving was done in the 18th century on trade silver, trade to the Indians for furs, lots of animal designs, rococo, British Coat of Arms, etc..not a new technique.
Other stuff is in relief and chiseled, this is done by drawing the design, and chiseling everything around it away, then carving into the design for highlights and detail...
I build Flintlock guns, some have rococo or barque carvings done into the stock and sometimes into the barrel and lock...very tedious and A LOT OF WORK...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've gotten a bit of tutoring on traditional gun & knife engraving, and it takes years of serious dedication to develop the skills somma these guys have. Man...some of the work posted here just blows me away!!!!!! :eek: :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.