Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
My guess is it was a clear anodizing. I have seen some that looked like they were peeling. I'm thinking that this was some clear paint someone had applied.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I have seen many with the Factory silver paint, on the bigtwins the barrels and heads were painted as well in silver.....

Look at old pics and you will see that the whole motor was painted, oilpump, lifters, and so forth.......

·
Registered
665 Posts
Really Never coated ... It just seems the ''weather'' so much quicker after a glass beading .
Does not mean that you cannot paint the cases with a Hi Temp Silver, try a color on a donner part before going for the cases.. 57 thru 69 Sportsters had barrels painted in Silver but I never known the cases to be painted... WTF do I know....

This cam cov was painted with DEI Hi Temp Silver and coated with Hi Temp Satin Clear, I do not expect it to hold up too well but we will see...
Unless you park your XL out in damp shed, bikes have run the bead blast look with no paint for years without issue

·
Registered
185 Posts
I stopped at a HD dealer for a can of the factory silver paint and a can of black the other day, its good stuff,used it for years.....won't be using it anymore.........$24.99 a CAN.....so...... had a cup of free coffee and then went to Auto Zone.....$5.99 high temp.....FWIW,
GBM

·
Registered
665 Posts
monte, what is the aluminum and hi temp satin clear you speak, of purchased? Thanks, that sporty motor is real nice.
Paint-DEI Design Engineering Inc Hi Temp Silicone Coating Aluminum Finish # 010302 found it on ebay, close to HD Silver a Tad flatter
Clear-VHT Very Hi temp SP115 Satin Clear..
what I did was bead blast the cover (looked like crap) so I painted it a few coats, cured in the over, after a day or 2 I sprayed the Clear but from about a foot and a half away as to Fog Coat it, what you see is what you get.... may be a PITA to maintain but we will see... Heads are the same color minus the clear...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.