Jockey Journal Forum banner

Enfield pings - diagnosis help needed

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  thegreasepit 
I backed off the timing by retarding it to 5/16" (I wish I could use a timing gun for this shit) and will know how she runs after I get my new charging system installed. Is there a guide for piston length BTDC vs. timing degrees? Should I have adjusted the timing to different setting?

you can use a timing gun, we strobe time all magneto bikes, here is how I do it.
all you need to do is make up an adapter to attach a degree wheel to the drive side crank sprocket nut or bolt and put a degree wheel on it, you need to establish TDC with a piston stop tool or a good guess with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole then put a wire pointer at the TDC position.
Then we lock the magneto advance in the full advance position and remove the spark plugs a using a spring clamp to clamp them to the outside of the head on the fins. then just spin the engine over (it doesn't need to run) and watch on the dregree wheel where it's firing at. We put a yellow mark at 38 BTC and it makes it a lot easier to see when it's spinning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.