1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my post from another forum no-one has answered yet

Maybe I should start over, bought an ultima 3.35' clutch is crap
Wanna pull it off as well as engine pulley, keep billet back plate
Replace Korean crap belt drive with BDL 1.5 enclosed unit but run with no outer cover
Will I need anything other than a new jack shaft to make this work or will it
Work at all?

the unit i want to put on is a bdl part number evbb-2sl
using my existing billet back plate and late model transmission and starter
my engine is a 1984 evo
anything else needed to answer please ask.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I checked those clutch baskets up next to each other once to see if that very thing could be done. they are close. As I remember I think you can use the hub with the Ultima inner plate ok the ring gears were different and couldnt be swapped to each other . I had no complaints with that Ultima clutch. used it on a Huge motor for about 5k. I installed a couple more and they were good for the short term anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me reiterate, i want to get rid of all the ultima pulleys and replace with bdl not just the clutch. but the bdl unit is pulleys belt and clutch for an enclosed primary....see if maybe that clarifies the question?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is what wanted to know was if it could run open, time to toss this korean belt drive minus the billet plate on flea-bay right after buying a bdl.....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I am not a expert here, on this swap. But I know that the difference is the electric starter. If you have the evo starter, short shaft, it should work. The outer primary is not necessary, unless you are running a earlier shovel style starter, which I am sure you are not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
as stated the starter will be the issue.... the torque needed to start the rotation is pretty big.... and the shaft holding the starter pinion on is quite small (1/8" - 3/16") ..... you will need some sort of cover on there to keep it all lined up and supported....

now, can you run it open? yes..... i have a '96 softail that i put an "enclosed BDL" kit on and cut down an outer cover so there was support for the pinion.... i also used a little bit up front so i wasn't getting too much sand in there.... it lasted about 22,000 miles before the front pulley, the belt and the clutch hub gave it up.... i ran them within an inch of their lives....

was it cool, yep.... would i do it again? probably not on my bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the inner primary i have should have a support in it i think for the starter shaft, unless ultima left that out to cut costs.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts