Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a hardtail bike with an S&S motor 5 speed kick only,,3" open belt drive..has no inner primary on it..what all would i need to make it elect start? just an inner primary and a starter? ill get pics tomorrow I can buy the bike bad cheap,,anyone ever added elect to a kick only?..any idea what it would cost in parts? or what i would need?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
just run it kick only
as long as its timed properly it will be easy to start

I had a tech cycle elec start kit on my shovel with open primary and never used it once I got the bike timed and set properly because the bike starts on 1 or 2 kicks all the time

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You'll need inner primary with support built in for the starter jackshaft. You'll also need, starter, starter solinoid (I would get the plunger type button for the end of the solinoid and skip the need for a starter switch and relay). Your clutch basket will need to have a ring gear on it to engage with the start gear on the jackshaft. Count on some odds and ends that aren't listed here. You'll need a battery big enough to crank the bike over (most kick only bikes have a tiny battery). Don't know the details of the cost but it won't be cheap. That inner primary w/ jackshaft support is gonna be a bit pricey I imagine.

After you know exactly what you have you can start getting specific about what you'll need and start collecting the parts.

-Craig

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Craig at 48 and knee surgery from years of kicking I don"t think I need to be kickin this one..I can get it cheap..but after the starter set up I dont know if id wanna put that in it..if i could get it elect start for $500 i"d prolly do it..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
okay sorry i didnt know you had knee surgery in that case then maybe look into one of the tech cycle kits they are very well made

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.