Jockey Journal Forum banner

Are you going on the El Diablo Run?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the Jockey Journal's longest post in history.

EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD!

The first annual El Diablo Run 2006 is on.

We did our last pre run this weekend, stopping in San Felipe and Ensenada to confirm reservations, bike show area, etc. So far everything has been unusually seamless and the local guys we've been dealing have been super cool and very accommodating. If you haven't got reservations in either town yet, we strongly recommend you do so soon. If you wait until the last minute there will likely be somewhere to crash but it may prove to be a chore to run around trying to get a room or campsite. Take the time to call them personally as the places listed below know about the El Diablo Run and down with it. There are hundreds of hotels and campos but these are the ones we are staying at, and both are bike friendly. We are going to update the site this week with this info, but thought we'd post it here since quite a few people from the JJ are on the "for-sure" list.

Meeting at the border:
Anyone who wants to ride in from a different route (Trent, George, etc) and meet up before the border crossing in Calexico is welcome to meet us at the Los Potrillos Steakhouse on the corner of 5th and Imperial (Hwy 111). This spot is only a couple blocks from the border and is right next to Pizza Hut on the right side. You can walk from there and get Mexican insurance and there is gas nearby as well. We'll wait up until 1:00pm and then we roll south. If you miss us just meet up in San Felipe. It will be hard to miss a bunch of Hooligans running around with open pipes or parked in front of the Miramar Bar. When you get to town, just keep heading east until you run into the little beach strip and you'll see bars and trinket shops on the left and the beach on the right. We'll be at the last bar on the left, at least to start. This is the longest run without gas, so be prepared to do a full hundred miles without a gas station. Most groups have already told us they are bringing a chase truck with gas, tools, etc, read the "where" section of the site and the "baja primer" if you aren't familiar with this route.

San Felipe Lodging
There are lots of places to stay, but we are staying at the one we consider best-Ruben's. Bike friendly, it is right on the north end of the beach and has it's own restaurant, showers and outdoor palapa bar. It would be wise to stay here. It is only a short, two block putt into downtown. Easy to walk back to if you are too loaded to ride back from town. It is self contained, so you can stay here the whole time drinking El Coco Locos on the beach and trying to scam on college girls during their spring break run if you don't feel like getting it on down on the strip. The camping is cool-you park your bike under a raised platform with a palapa roof and sleep on the raised platform. It's best in a small tent or hammock. They charge $25 a night with a max of six people per palapa. This also pays for your showers. If you fill it up, that's under $5 a night per dude and you can't beat that!

Here is how to get a reservation: Call 01 686 57 7-1442 and ask for Aaron. Tell Aaron you are with the El Diablo Run and that you would like to reserve how ever many palapas you need for the nights of the 16th and 17th. You can trust him with your credit card info and he speaks perfect English. You may have to call a couple times to make sure you get him, but it's worth it. Right now, there are plenty available, but it will be spring break and it fills up with SDSU girls pretty quick…

He is so into the run that he has promised to give the first 20 El Diablo Runners a free margarita. No shit! Bring photos, patches, stickers or whatever you want to leave behind to decorate the bar. If the place is full, he'll help you get into his uncle's place, Kiki's, next door which is basically the same set up but with half hotel rooms, half palapas. On Friday, you can hook up with Aaron and get a trip out on a fishing panga, tackle and all supplied if you want to do some fishing. There are BBQs so you can cook what you catch or ask the cook to prepare it for you. See why Laughlin is just so gay? Aaron is a good guy and the camp is a good place. We want to make this the annual spot, so please treat him and his people with respect so they want us back next year.

Ensenada Lodging and Bike Show
After a fun 125 or so mile run northwest on Saturday morning, we should be rolling into Ensenada around lunchtime. We're staying at the same hotel where the bike show will be on Sunday-the Bahia. It is directly across from biggest Mexican flag you've ever seen. You'll know you are coming into the suburbs (term used loosely) when you see smog and junkyards. From the crest of the hill you can see the flag at the edge of the shipyard, right in the center of the main drag about five miles west. Just keep following the highway until you see a big, long, paved road at an Alto (stop) sign that looks like it leads right to the flag, turn right there. The street is not marked, but you'll know it. Just work your way west toward the flag. Once you get close to the flag, on the main drag (HWY 1) directly east of the flagpole is the Bahia. Pull in the parking lot and tell the attendant you are with the El Diablo Run if he even asks. There are many hotels in town and some camping on the outskirts. Ensenada is huge and the police presence is pretty big, so we're going to roll in and park, relax and walk to bars, taco stands, etc. (I've been in jail in Mexico and it sucks!) There is no real agenda Saturday night, just unwind and hang out. After camping at Ruben's, the Bahia seems almost posh. There is a bar, restaurant and sidewalk dining all attached right to the hotel, but the food is a bit ****** and pricey. We'll probably be hitting the taco shop next door to Hussongs or street vendors. The manager doesn't like bikes mixing with cars in the parking lot, so he's offered to let us park as many bikes as we can fit on the back patio, which happens to have a little bar. In fact some of the rooms back to this patio, so if you can use a single queen bed, you can park your bike on your own little landing outside your sliding glass door. The only thing they ask is that you push your bike into the parking lot (a few feet) and then start it to avoid pissing off the other guests. Even if you stay somewhere else, figure out where the Bahia patio is because we're going to have a show there Sunday about 11:00AM or so. You can roll right in, just buy a drink or eat lunch there and it's free. No matter what you rode, bring it onto the patio and show it. If you have chase trucks or cars and aren't staying at the hotel, park on the street or at your hotel and walk in. There is NO admission fee. I say again, we aren't charging for anything. We're going to be giving out several trophies, 1st, 2nd, 3rd in show, period, no classes, just bikes we like. We may even have a couple special judges that might surprise you. We're also going to give one out for whoever rode the farthest and one for the biggest piece of shit bike that actually made it under it's own power for the whole run. Everyone is invited to show, we like bikes of all kinds and aren't going to exclude anyone with a style-nazi at the entrance or anything. Only one rule, please don't bring shag carpet, mirrors or velvet ropes, in fact don't plan on washing your bike. Of course if you ride a full-on billet barge, you won't be winning anything but we'd still like to see what everyone rode and meet everybody. They'll be serving cervesa for us and it will be a real low-key deal. If anyone wants to ride down from San Diego just for the show, do it, your bike won't be eligible for trophies, but you are still welcome. We'll break up about 4:00 or so and head northward to home.

If you'd like to stay at the Bahia:
Call (better than internet reservations) Fernando Muñoz at 1-888-308-90-48 and tell him that you are with the El Diablo Run and that you'd like room(s) for March 18th. Again, this is a dude you can trust with your CC info, just like anywhere in the states. A two-twin bed room for two people should be about $60.

Last time I'm going to put this disclaimer out; this run is going to be fun as hell, but ain't for everyone. If you need the right feather pillow or somewhere to park your 50-foot toy hauler full of Big Dogs, it probably isn't for you. If you want to run what you brung and hang out in a completely different environment than your typical "biker" event, you will dig it. We've never done an organized event before, but we know what a cool place baja is and how much fun we've had there so we want to invite other like-minded riders to enjoy it. We'll probably screw it up, someone will probably get arrested, someone will think we're dicks because we said something wrong or didn't wear the right thing, but in the end, it's really about the ride and the people, not superstars and flamed skull doo-rags. Please read all the details on the site and decide for yourself.

We'll be posting a few new photos this week to the news section of our site from this weekend's trip, though it was done in a truck since we've only got one running bike between the four of us and it just got sold. We gots some work to do...

If anyone has questions, comments, etc, you can reach me personally at [email protected] I'll happy to help any way I can.

-Bill
www.eldiablorun.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
I want to do this so bad...

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a couple pics from this weekend...

If you have trouble getting through on phone lines, use your operator by dialing "00" and you may have to try several times to get through. I kept getting a busy signal at Ruben's. Don't think they have call waiting there yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Man, this run looks so cool!! can't wait to see Tom & Trents scooters done.

Next year for sure, its a great time of year for me to take off!!!

keep us up to date.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since posting above this morning, I've had a hard time getting through to Aaron on the phone, never can trust the phone service much down there. Anyway, even if you don't get a reservation, we've got some extra spots and he said he will allow camping on the beach, bike parking and showers for the same $25.00 per six people if the palapas fill up. In other words, don't sweat it...

I've heard from others that the Bahia in Ensenada has been no sweat and this is where reservations are going to be more important.

Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in like polyester!!!!!

got a reservation at bahia (thanks Juan Carlos), plane ticket handled to New Mexico, and transport for the chopper from NC to NM. i couldn't get through to aaron either. i'll go on the assumption that i can throw in some money somewhere and crash in san felipe. i'll return the floorspace favor in ensenada to anyone that needs it.

the only bad news is that in order to get the bike to trent's on time, eagle one has to pick it up next week! so i guess i'll have to put it back together and put off the updates until another time.

see you on the border!

brandon

Billdozer1811 said:
Since posting above this morning, I've had a hard time getting through to Aaron on the phone, never can trust the phone service much down there. Anyway, even if you don't get a reservation, we've got some extra spots and he said he will allow camping on the beach, bike parking and showers for the same $25.00 per six people if the palapas fill up. In other words, don't sweat it...

I've heard from others that the Bahia in Ensenada has been no sweat and this is where reservations are going to be more important.

Bill

·
Registered
119 Posts
CrazyD said:
Man, this run looks so cool!! can't wait to see Tom & Trents scooters done.

Next year for sure, its a great time of year for me to take off!!!

keep us up to date.
Once Tman and I have bikes on the road we gotta do this....

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
just came in from working on the swingarm bike...I was hacking up an old fender and my air tools were starting to freezing up...drove me crazy but stayed motivated thinking about some warm weather riding.:D

the fender still needs to be widened a bit and like a doofus I creased it trying to tweak the radius. i dont know wtf i'm doing but this is a blast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.