Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those in Maricopa County, Arizona (the Phoenix metro area) this has been a long battle. But the EPA has finally relented and agreed to allow the last County in the USA to require motorcycle emissions testing to exempt all motorcycles. What a relief. Let me tell you, it's no fun to sit in line for 30 minutes on a 115F summer day waiting for your annual emissions test. One of the joys of riding my panhead is that it has always been exempt because of its age. But now all riders in Arizona will be able to register each year with no need to pay the $20 fee and wait in line.

Here is the official government posting... https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/05/22/2013-12091/approval-and-promulgation-of-implementation-plans-arizona-motor-vehicle-inspection-and-maintenance

-Craig

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I was born in Phoenix and I never really understood why a place that is just sand and wind would require smog inspections anyway.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually, in the winter months when the wind doesn't work as hard and everybody's grand parents are here along with the other 4 million or so inhabitants (We really have no idea how many illegals live here) it gets damn near as smoggy as L.A. sometimes. But, damn I'm happy!!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 ^^^ The smog here sucks hard. But bikes only contribute about 1/3 of 1%. It just doesn't make sense to continue testing them.

It took 5 years for the EPA to approve the request to eliminate the testing. Study after study, delay after delay to give the public an opportunity to comment on the changes. Finally they do what is the obvious right thing.

-Craig

·
Registered
788 Posts
Fuck yes!!!!!
I'm buying a bike in San Diego the 15th and haul it back.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ya, I feel for ya with that governer Tony. You can never know exactly what he will do, but I do know that a large part of it would probably piss me off.

The thing to note here though, is that actually, on the automotive side of things we have tougher smog laws in some cases than you guys do over on the coast. We don't have rolling year exemptions like you guys do, everything newer than '66 HAS to be smogged. I have owned one post '66 vehicle ('71), EVER, for about six years now and it is a giant pain in the ass just to be "nice" to the folks that are so dilligantly trying to find a way to take it off the road...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Take good care of Arizona, in another year or so I'm grabbing my SSI and moving to the Flagstaff area.

Wanna buy a shop in O.C. ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sure Tony, can you ship it to 85050....?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Little update on this...
Just called the MVD because I wanted to fly out to San Diego and ride back.
They aren't aware of this law nor will they be enforcing it.
Which means I have to get this bike emissioned to register. Since I only have the Monday after off work, I won't have any other time to get it together before then, I'm fucked.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Little update on this...
Just called the MVD because I wanted to fly out to San Diego and ride back.
They aren't aware of this law nor will they be enforcing it.
Which means I have to get this bike emissioned to register. Since I only have the Monday after off work, I won't have any other time to get it together before then, I'm fucked.
I think I would call or stop at an emmissions station before I talked to MVD. They always seem to never know when their own hand is scratching their own ass, whereas the emmissions commies would know when to stop.

I also believe with either of them that I would take some time and stop at either to get the full scoop. Over the phone it's just too simple for them to say what ever they believe and hang up...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think I would call or stop at an emmissions station before I talked to MVD. They always seem to never know when their own hand is scratching their own ass, whereas the emmissions commies would know when to stop.

I also believe with either of them that I would take some time and stop at either to get the full scoop. Over the phone it's just too simple for them to say what ever they believe and hang up...
Totally agree, however on Monday the 17th, I still need to be present at the MVD to get my plate and title. I'll swing by emissions and get the paperwork. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd check with the DMV. I'd bet it takes them a while to catch up and figure out how to "turn things off" when it comes to this change.

-Craig

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Funny how that is when they seem to make money on the ignorant when it's "on"...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts