Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,
I see a discussion about the Captain America and Billy bikes on another thread, but I figured I'd start it's own thread.

If you'll do a web search, you'll see that the bikes were built by a couple of African American builders at Hardy's Motorcycle Service.

Back when Hopper was living in Taos, I saw him give an interview. He said that three of the bikes were stolen, but he still had one of the Captain America bikes.

Also, when I was at the Easyrider bike Show in Waco in 1993 (during the Branch Davidian seige, but that's another story), they had a Captain America and Billy Bike on display. They were so rough and used up looking that I figured they had to be the originals, but I don't know for sure.

Anyone else have any other info, the bikes were definately "benchmark" scooters.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Re: Easyrider bikes

they were stolen before movie was even finished....

before they went back to film the mardi gras scenes

·
Registered
840 Posts

Thats crazy. I seen that Jesse James chopper special where he talked to Sugar Bear about those bikes, and the guys who built them. I didn't remember him saying anything about them being stolen before the movie was finished. Thats pretty amazing.

·
Registered
825 Posts

51rat said:
they were stolen before movie was even finished....

before they went back to film the mardi gras scenes
The easy rider scene was the FIRST scene they filmed...in fact at that point...Dennis Hopper's Character was known and "Buckie" not "Billy" If you watch the whorehouse scene you can tell that they dubed "I'm Billy" over the top of I'm "Buckie"

I guess Marvel Comics were threatening to sue of use of the Cpt America/Buckie names.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Larry T said:
Hey folks,
I see a discussion about the Captain America and Billy bikes on another thread, but I figured I'd start it's own thread.

If you'll do a web search, you'll see that the bikes were built by a couple of African American builders at Hardy's Motorcycle Service.

Back when Hopper was living in Taos, I saw him give an interview. He said that three of the bikes were stolen, but he still had one of the Captain America bikes.

Also, when I was at the Easyrider bike Show in Waco in 1993 (during the Branch Davidian seige, but that's another story), they had a Captain America and Billy Bike on display. They were so rough and used up looking that I figured they had to be the originals, but I don't know for sure.

Anyone else have any other info, the bikes were definately "benchmark" scooters.
I did a web search and the only builder I am seeing listed is Dan Haggerty....I am looking at Peter Fonda's Auto biography and the only name he mentions is Dan Haggery.....I am being misled? I have read a LOT about this movie ...

Can you forward the links on these other guys? Please?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

well atleast in the dvd when they are talking, they say when they went back to film more in new orleans (actually some of taht footage was done before movie was even a go for sure, it was the footage tehy showed to get funding)... they went back for more, and by then the bikes were stolen...

atleast thats what hopper and sexy man himself say (lmao, that was so gay)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

big_al said:
I did a web search and the only builder I am seeing listed is Dan Haggerty....I am looking at Peter Fonda's Auto biography and the only name he mentions is Dan Haggery.....I am being misled? I have read a LOT about this movie ...

Can you forward the links on these other guys? Please?
Al,
The first interview I remember about the bikes was in a magazine in the early 70's and it was with Hardy or Vaughn. I did some looking last night after this subject came up and there are 2 or 3 versions of what happened. One of them has Haggerty, Tex Hall (both are in the movie) and Fonda building the bikes. Another has Hardy and Vaughn building the bikes and Fonda giving the wrecked Captain America bike to Haggerty, who later rebuilt it. And like I said in the first post, Hopper claimed to own the remaining bike for a while. I suspect what Fonda and Hopper said was what was convienient at the time and you gotta remember this all happened in 60's. "If you remember it, you weren't there!"

Anyway, you might look a wikopedia (or what ever it's called) under Easy Rider and a site called Harleyson's Homepage.

Maybe you'd better do the search under Harleyson's Homepage Easyrider. Looks like a big site and I don't know how tough it is to navigate.

·
Registered
825 Posts

I have heard a lot of differnt stories about the bikes....like that the crashed bike was rebuilt...the most believable story I have heard is that ALL the bikes that are around at shows (i think there are 3) that claim to be the easy rider bike are NOT.....In Taos the locals say that Hopper had a bunch of Non-running mockups built to be used as props in movie theaters during the release of the movie.....and that when ever he was short on money he would sell one of these as the Captain America bike...

In 1999 (30th ann. of the movie) I rode from Texas to LA and back to Louisiana tracing the route as close as I could figure...I interviewed extras (including Cat Man and the Sherriff in the cafe scene) and planned on writing a book. Alas I never finished it...perhaps I will do the ride again in 2009 and actually write the book this time!!

I rode it on a cop bike but if I do it again it will be on my pan....

·
Registered
825 Posts

Larry T said:
Al,
The first interview I remember about the bikes was in a magazine in the early 70's and it was with Hardy or Vaughn. I did some looking last night after this subject came up and there are 2 or 3 versions of what happened. One of them has Haggerty, Tex Hall (both are in the movie) and Fonda building the bikes. Another has Hardy and Vaughn building the bikes and Fonda giving the wrecked Captain America bike to Haggerty, who later rebuilt it. And like I said in the first post, Hopper claimed to own the remaining bike for a while. I suspect what Fonda and Hopper said was what was convienient at the time and you gotta remember this all happened in 60's. "If you remember it, you weren't there!"

Anyway, you might look a wikopedia (or what ever it's called) under Easy Rider and a site called Harleyson's Homepage.

Maybe you'd better do the search under Harleyson's Homepage Easyrider. Looks like a big site and I don't know how tough it is to navigate.
Oh wait I see it now....Fonda mentions Cliff Vaughs...and he calls them LAPD bikes...I assume that means cop bikes...

When you read this shit you see that Fonda and Hopper and almost every person has a different version of what happened....crazy...I guess that WAS the 60's

·
Registered
825 Posts

Larry T said:
Al,

http://www.harleysons.de/easy%20rider.htm

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ben Hardy

I've known of the name for a while but can't seem to come up with any information other than he built the Easy Rider bikes; and everyone knows that. I found this on a blog:

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2009/03/ben-hardy-creator-of-captain-america.html

Anyone (Rich) out there know anything more? Surely this guy must be a legend, yet it's hard to get any kind of historical context for him, why?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Ben Hardy

Yeah, seen that- great interview and real insight and some f*#ing amazing photos.

The same basic material is here in 3 parts (stick with it, it's worth it):

But it all only really deals with Easy Rider. There is no before or after information; surely there has to be more information out there.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Watch the history of the chopper with jesse james, he does about a 10 minute thing about ben hardy and his helper.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Biker Radio Magazine did an interview with Sugar Bear awhile back. He talked about Ben hardy quite a bit...

Here's the link for the download --> http://www.bikerradiomagazine.com/shows/edition_51_the_chopper_show.mp3

Sugar Bear is the 2nd interview...
I downloaded and listened to it, again it only really touches on Ben Hardy a little- Sugar Bear briefly mentions his book without saying what the title is. It's not on his website. I've googled and come up blank. Has he published a book? What's it called and where can I get it?

Ampdesign- I tried to download the History of the Chopper- no luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts

Here's the link to the movie over at the Disovery Channel Store...
http://store.discovery.com/detail.php?p=84841&v=discovery

You'll need one of those universal format DVD players over in the UK to see it I think - or get someone to convert it for you.

I posted the segments from the movie about Sugar Bear and Benny Hardy on YouTube. Check them out at the link below...
http://www.youtube.com/user/mjfromla
Yeah I saw the DVD to buy and thought it would be more trouble than it's worth being the wrong region. It's out there to download (cheeky, i know) but I haven't yet found a quick link that I don't have to register so i can get it.

I have been watching your youtube segments. I recognise your user name mjfromla. Thanks for posting them.

I'm gonna talk to Sugar Bear direct and find out if he ever got the book published.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts