Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i understand that there is a way to recharge a magnito using a 12volt battery charger with a 50amp "boost" mode. Using several feet of 20ga wire for winding, then several. 2-4 second jolts with the battery charger .. using a 12V light build on the ground side to prevent shorting & ensure current flow......
Does this sound right????? Or is this just another way for me to burn the hair off my arms & wind up in the ER from electrical burns. .. I'll try almost anything once, ,,as long as it doesn't involve children or farm animals!!!!!! (Sick sense of humor, i know)
WHAT DO YOU THINK??????

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
yes in theory you could recharge the magnets in a magneto but there is a fine line to how strong of a charge to do, too much will burn the coil out as happened to all the new Hunt mags of a couple a years ago.
My advice is to send it into Hunt or Morris magneto company and let them re-charge it to factory specifications. It's not that expensive to do.

·
Registered
837 Posts
ok... i've recharged a magneto successfully before... and completely un-magnetized two of them thinking i was recharging them. it's easy to f' them up.

there's a Gingery published book... something like "how to build magneto magnetizers" or sometime along those lines. it's old, likely out of print... but had some decent schematics.
they're the ones i used when successfully doing that one... and the same when successfully hosing the other two.

for what it's worth: best send it out to a magneto shop. there aren't many left around, though. i searched high and low to get the mag on my sporty recharged... the guy i used to use for flathead (ford) stuff closed up shop because he got too old.

in the end i couldnt find anyone that could do it locally, nobody to ship it to that didn't have a 3-4 week turn around. i chucked the mag up in my drill press and let it run for a few hours. spark went from moderately weak @500rpm to shocking the shit out of you when spinning by hand. might be worth a try... it's free, afterall.

edit: last i inquired, Morris would do it for something like $75 (i seem to remember that being the price, i could be wrong... maybe it was $50). google Mark's Magneto... he's in Connecticut... does small tractor hit/miss stuff, has a good reputation, though i've not used his services personally i hear it's a lot cheaper to have him recharge than to have Morris do it.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If you're looking for someone to remagnatize a magneto, check with farm implement dealers who work on old tractors, or guys who restore them. Several old tractors use a Fairbanks Morse magneto with the same basic body as the HD one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got the info from a ford 8-N tractor guy. Said the hell with that & called. Steve @ Joe Hunt, $20 bucks + the ride for a recharge, or. $55 + parts for recharge & tune up! !!! Can't touch that anywhere else! !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could also try Mainely Magnetos out of Maine (get it?). They tested and rebuilt my K2FC mag, and it looks like it's brand new. They're slow with communication, but seem to do pretty good work.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
rudy from rebuiltmags.com
just did an early xlch magneto complete rebuild for me for just about the same price it would have cost me to simply buy the parts from morris etc.
quick turn around time
very easy to deal with
maybe give him a call and see what he says

I wouldnt try and do it on your own unless you 100% know what your doing

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Knowing Slim, he would cut the old one out and install a old speaker magnet. On his good day.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If I remember right, this guy will remagnetize your rotor for $10 plus shipping to and from Massachusetts. He told me this a while back, though. Better e-mail for a current price. The rest of a magneto rebuild is pretty straightforward.

http://www.magnetoparts.com/

I still wanna know where this originally came from. It's up there with crashed spaceships and claims of eating dinner at Arby's with Bigfoot (apologies to slim55g).

Ok, i understand that there is a way to recharge a magnito using a 12volt battery charger with a 50amp "boost" mode. Using several feet of 20ga wire for winding, then several. 2-4 second jolts with the battery charger .. using a 12V light build on the ground side to prevent shorting & ensure current flow......

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, this comes from a local antique Tractor guy...says he does it all the time. Here's his description. ...
Take a cheap compass,find N or + pole of armature. Take 20ga wire &wrap from - to + & keep windings tight. Connect wire to + side of battery charger. Connect + side of armature to light bulb & other side of light to neg side of battery charger. Push & hold boost for 2-3 seconds. Repeat 3 times....

I don't trust anyone who owns more tractors than farm animals. !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.