Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive got this bike, its a recovery bike titled as a 68. so i assume it everything on it was before then. i know its a mix-match of parts, but im trying to figure out exactly what year/era all this stuff is, mainly the frame because the motor doesnt seem to fit right in it. (1) the under crank part of the case is actually touching the frame, (2) its got this weird motormount kickstand on it, appears because the primary is way to close to the regular kickstand mount to get a kickstand on it. this motormount, mounted kickstand is not worth a shit, and i really dont like the fact that the case is touching the frame, just trying to get some more insight before i decide what to do about it.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
There are no differences between K model and Sportster cases as far as mounting locations go. Or frames either. All the differences are in reinforcement, height, etc, but not mounts. So if your frame hits the engine it is likely bent somewhere.
H4 could be Aug '54 or Aug '64. The difference is in mounting points for added on parts. What does the top motor mount look like as it is a clear difference in types. The '54 is a casting, the '64 welded formed plate.
The side stand brackets commonly broke so if it was rewelded poorly that could be the stand issue.
How about pictures of key parts like the top motor mount and seat casting area. The stand mount, etc
Robbie
K frames

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the top mount is welded plate so i guess 64. frame certainly doesnt appear to be bent, or ride like its bent. ill try to get some pics.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Reb,
Take Picture of the Center Motormount and PM me if you want,
there are differences in the K to XL one being the K has a steeper rake, your rear rocker box should no way be touching the frame rail UNLESS you landed an Old Time Stroker with taller Cylinders?
what are the letters or numbers at the bottom of the cylinders?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rocker is not touching, its the under side where the crank is. actually, i think this query is concluded. i was able to contact the guy who put this bike together, and he told me the frame is from a 64 that had the motor put into a jammer frame sometime in the 70's. also prior to the motor swap the 64 had been trail ridden, and hill climbed so even though the frame doesnt appear to be bent, or feel bent when ridding, it probably is.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The kickstand is a big twin FL type stand for sure. The sporty stand would be from a small bracket welded onto the bottom rail under the primary. Hill climbing and trail riding both can slightly bend the lower tubes when hitting a boulder or tree just right. I like the looks of your bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts