Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do they make a converstion or any brackets?

the early front end (with non conical wheel ) has a stud stay that is kind of a "slot" in the early wheel to keep it anchored.

the later years wheel (conical) looks like it has a bolt/stud/nut to make it stay. it looks i can just create a anchor to fit over the rectangle stay on the leg, and then have it come out and bolt onto the stud on the wheel/brake. but i am not sure how i would get it to stay on the leg good enough.

anyone have any experience with fitting a later wheel on an earlier front end?

im going out to take a picture now.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
caffeine said:
do they make a converstion or any brackets?

the early front end (with non conical wheel ) has a stud stay that is kind of a "slot" in the early wheel to keep it anchored.

the later years wheel (conical) looks like it has a bolt/stud/nut to make it stay. it looks i can just create a anchor to fit over the rectangle stay on the leg, and then have it come out and bolt onto the stud on the wheel/brake. but i am not sure how i would get it to stay on the leg good enough.

anyone have any experience with fitting a later wheel on an earlier front end?

im going out to take a picture now.
The conical should still use the drop out front axle style . They were just 4 studs per side unlike the other which was 2 studs per side . And the early style ( ridgid models ) Had a axle much like the latter BSA's . Some pics would be helpful !

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
early wheel/brake

early fork leg

late wheel.

problem

now...the stay on the leg now, fits fine, doesnt interfere with the brake, it just has nothing to anchor to

in the picture it looks like i a take a 1/4 stock and make an achor. take a 1/4 inch steel, mill drill out the rectangle shape of the stay on the leg, then run it to the stud on the brake.

issue would be how do i get that braket to stay good on the leg. there is no room for a bolt or anything, maybe cut a groove and run a circlip?

or.......trade for a earlier wheel.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I don't know of any conversion but I hate to say that the early style front brake is better . Even thou the conical looks cool as shit . I coverted my early style duel leading shoe to fit a Springer so you should have no problem doing the opposite .

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trumpnut said:
Looking at the bootom pic . Why not just weld 2 pieces of stock to the brake housing on both sides of the fork tab ?
i could do that too, get someone to weld alum.

it seems like the front plate for the earlier would fit the later if the shoes were skinier, wonder if the shoes are interchangeble.

i have both wheels, but as you can see the earlier one is rusted beyond running (for my liking) even after spending a day trying to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
caffeine said:
i could do that too, get someone to weld alum.

it seems like the front plate for the earlier would fit the later if the shoes were skinier, wonder if the shoes are interchangeble.

i have both wheels, but as you can see the earlier one is rusted beyond running (for my liking) even after spending a day trying to clean it up.
That sucks it's to rusty to run . They stop so much better then the late style !The spoke pattern is the same you could just relace it to the other rim .
If you can't find anyon to weld the backing plate I'll do it after the EDR just mark the plate with a sharpy and I will weld on some scrap 6061 to it . For nothin !

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Rob,

I have a 66 front hub in good shape with a decent hubcap and backing plate.

I don't know if you feel like relacing your rim to this hub, but I'll send it to you if you want. We can swap parts, whatever. IM me if you're interested.

-JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts