Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These dyno runs are of a 1968 XLCH Stock 3" bore x 4.625" stroke, PB+ cams,
Heads are ported and polished, 1.935, 1.750 XLR valves (I believe)
Exhaust is 2" headpipes welded onto -62 mufflers, stock early oil pump and breather.

Note: I believe these cams and heads are not working well w/ each other.
I had some X cams I was going to run, but I just threw the PB+'s in because I
did not want to pull heads to setup.... that was about 5 years ago, maybe this
winter?
Note: Tuned Exhaust in these runs is simply (lollipop)1" dia washer welded to a stud, placed about 3" from end of pipe at a 45* angle to pipe outlet.

These runs shows the potential for lollipops, as long as your willing to give up some HP near the redline, 4-6 extra ft/lbs from 3000-4000..... its your call

These runs show how far ahead of its time the SU carb was.

These runs show the potential of tuned intake length, even from a shared intake.

The large bore of the Super B shows benefit over 5200 if you like the revs.

Comparison of all 3 w/ tuned exhaust, all about the same until high RPM then the Super B shines.

These runs show difference in the 2" headpipes w/ -62 mufflers w/ .750" hole in center of baffle plate.
The other exhaust is a generic 1.750" exhaust w/ mufflers w/ 1" hole in baffle plate.
Neither exhaust has lollipops.
These 2 runs kind of contradict general thought on 2" headpipes being too large, but I believe the difference in this circumstance is all in the mufflers.
If they were strait drags I would bet the 1.750 would perform better overall.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i love seeing real world stuff like this, cant wait to see what the x cams do. care to give the specs on the cv and super b? jetting air bleed etc,

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i love seeing real world stuff like this, cant wait to see what the x cams do. care to give the specs on the cv and super b? jetting air bleed etc,
CV is 52/185, .040" under NOKH needle.
Super B is 29.5/68
SU had an adjustable jet and a BBT needle.
All tuned w/ Dual channel AFR wideband sensors.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Find a set of Sifton Barracuda cams. You'd see a significant improvement on an already nice running engine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
really exited about the stroker tuning as i have one with 4 9/16 stroke haveyou tried playing with the timing yet? would like to seewhat it likes best

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just like to see if the dips in the curve relate to a specific afr. Also curious as to why the curves seam to bounce around a little bit and if its rich or if its ignition related. Super b seams to have the curves that bounce around the most and it lost power w mufflers. Seamed to pick up w generic pipes which i am assuming are drag pipes which would make it leaner which it seams to like as imdicayed by the dmoother curve n more power. Again just what it looks like to me but hard to tell w no afr. The comparisons are pretty cool, looks like a long day in the dyno room

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very impressive Chevelle! Seeing your results makes me feel good about what I have in my motor and now I really want to find a dyno and see what my bike is doing. Keep the results coming.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just like to see if the dips in the curve relate to a specific afr. Also curious as to why the curves seam to bounce around a little bit and if its rich or if its ignition related. Super b seams to have the curves that bounce around the most and it lost power w mufflers. Seamed to pick up w generic pipes which i am assuming are drag pipes which would make it leaner which it seams to like as imdicayed by the dmoother curve n more power. Again just what it looks like to me but hard to tell w no afr. The comparisons are pretty cool, looks like a long day in the dyno room
If you look back, I explained the generic exhaust is one piece exhaust,w/ 1.750 head pipes and mufflers w/ 1" hole through baffle plate.

Here is the graph you asked about, not sure its going to tell you much.
These are magneto bikes and they do slightly interfere w/ the dyno electronics, as I have explained in my other threads.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ran the andrews cams in my sportster 490's . Thanks for posting this data......made copies! print and in file allready! LOL
V9's?

Ted on the other forum let me borrow a few sets to map and graph.
The V9's he let me borrow are 86-90 evo, Im guessing they are the same as the ironhead V9 cams?
Anyone know any differently?

The V9's look promising.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts