Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I have my eyes on a early (no primary ears) four speed ratchet top and I'm wondering if id be able to use this trans with a stock 80" cone? I tried to search but couldn't come up with anything. What kind of problems am I lookin at?

-Chris

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Youd need to figure out how to put a bearing support on it. Otherwise your main bearing is going to wear faster than it should. Also you'd have to change out the mainshaft in the trans to a longer mainshaft to work with the one thats in your cone motor.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I run a cone motor and trans with no ears, use a regular bearing support. worked for me so far and I like to do wheelies and hole shots. this winter I'm gonna put the guts in an aftermarket case just to be safe though

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Richharr, your trans must have the later and longer mainshaft in the early case, otherwise, as Yardman points out, your driveline couldn't align. There are four different mainshaft lengths for 4 speeds through 1984, the 1936-64 early style, the 1965-69 for the generator motor with the cast inner primary, the 1970-84 chain drive trannies and the (I think) 84-85 belt drive 4 speeds.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Richarr says,
I run a cone motor and trans with no ears, use a regular bearing support.
notcool says,
Still not sure how you put a mainshaft support on a non-electric start case, but it has been a long day.
I am with notcool on this, WTF are you talking about? Where do you bolt the bearing support??
Robbie

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Tin primary transmissions, never needed a support bearing. Ever. But then, I guess you could wipe some grease on the housing and stick a few ball bearings there to make you feel better. But then, I am sure, someone will invent one now, to sell to the people who dont know better.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Tin primary transmissions, never needed a support bearing. Ever. But then, I guess you could wipe some grease on the housing and stick a few ball bearings there to make you feel better. But then, I am sure, someone will invent one now, to sell to the people who dont know better.
That's true in most cases, but he is talking cone motor with an early gearbox, meaning he at least has to put a -70 part number mainshaft in the trans to line up the primary. And the extra length of the shaft makes a fine lever to rapidly increase the wear on the main drive bearing while the clutch whips around out there. When tins are put on cone setups it is always recommended to use the bolt on support to stabilize the shaft. On a stock set-up up to '64 it isn't an issue, but for his combo it can become one. But it is his and he is welcome to do whatever he pleases. And then come back on here asking why his shit broke!
Robbie

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would probably sell off what you have or trade for a trans with the ears to bolt the bearing support onto

like others on here said it can be done with the proper length shaft in the trans but its not really ideal

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I did some more searching on the shovelhead forums. Turns out the main shaft on the 65-69 is a 1/4" longer than the 64 and earlier. The main shaft on the 70 and later is a 1/2" longer than the 65-69 making it a total of 3/4" longer than the early no ear trans. When the time comes I'm gonna be looking for a 70+ ratchet top and run a bearing support. Thanks again guys.

-Chris

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
the rear ears are cut off, its not an early style case, just doesnt have rear ears.
You didn't say rear ears, you said no ears, that's why the disbelief. Can't bolt a bearing carrier to the air!
Robbie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts