Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,..

Hope someone here can help me out, im currently working on a new project, my 2nd harley im trying to build " im noob" but anyway this one im building from spareparts low budget! :)

I found an old 1976 1200 shovelhead engine, in a buddys garage, it havent been out on the road for like 6-8 years,..

I installed a dyna 2ki ignition on the old engine, but after destroying both my legs, trying to start the old fart, i found out the intake wasnt tightened so it leaked, but it was still very hard to kickstart after i fixed it..
Then i found out, that i needed a programming cable to set something called dead revs. to 0.. After alot of reading, i finally found a nice guy from US who sent me programming cable, and i think it worked, i set dead rev to 0 from 3 and i was happy,..

My headache is..
After all this i read the manuel for curve maker, litle late maybe hehe, but anyway, it says curve maker will automatic use a saved curve on start up, so now im wondering was dead rev maybe already on 0 if i was looking on a loaded map from curvemaker? did i fix anything..:confused:

ps. i cant try start it up atm, because i sold the gas tank..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hey all,..

Hope someone here can help me out, im currently working on a new project, my 2nd harley im trying to build " im noob" but anyway this one im building from spareparts low budget! :)

I found an old 1976 1200 shovelhead engine, in a buddys garage, it havent been out on the road for like 6-8 years,..

I installed a dyna 2ki ignition on the old engine, but after destroying both my legs, trying to start the old fart, i found out the intake wasnt tightened so it leaked, but it was still very hard to kickstart after i fixed it..
Then i found out, that i needed a programming cable to set something called dead revs. to 0.. After alot of reading, i finally found a nice guy from US who sent me programming cable, and i think it worked, i set dead rev to 0 from 3 and i was happy,..

My headache is..
After all this i read the manuel for curve maker, litle late maybe hehe, but anyway, it says curve maker will automatic use a saved curve on start up, so now im wondering was dead rev maybe already on 0 if i was looking on a loaded map from curvemaker? did i fix anything..:confused:

ps. i cant try start it up atm, because i sold the gas tank..
back up just a bit - i do not use that ignition but it does not matter - How much oil is in the lower unit < that could be one issue if its sumped

some ignitions default to a start mode But if you had 3 dead rev and a kicker you almost will never get it to go it wont happen

get a fuel tank from a lawn mower and hook it up to the bars or frame top WITH a shut off and see what else might be going on with the carb float ect ect

·
4,051 Posts
I'm pretty sure the curve is simply pre-programmed, and the dead revs are a separate issue entirely. IE, you can use a given curve and choose if you want 0 or 3 dead revs.

The dead revs is how many times that engine turns over before it fires off. Kicking you will never see 3... three is for an e-start bike to help it get some oil moving before running. Most folks will get oil moving with their legs on a kick bike... not too many one-kick bikes out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
back up just a bit - i do not use that ignition but it does not matter - How much oil is in the lower unit < that could be one issue if its sumped

some ignitions default to a start mode But if you had 3 dead rev and a kicker you almost will never get it to go it wont happen

get a fuel tank from a lawn mower and hook it up to the bars or frame top WITH a shut off and see what else might be going on with the carb float ect ect
Thank you, it is actually kinda sumped i guess, when i kicked it last time, i could hear like bobble sounds from the engine, and oil on the floor from the crankcase vent,..
So thats a problem need to be fixed too i guess :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the curve is simply pre-programmed, and the dead revs are a separate issue entirely. IE, you can use a given curve and choose if you want 0 or 3 dead revs.

The dead revs is how many times that engine turns over before it fires off. Kicking you will never see 3... three is for an e-start bike to help it get some oil moving before running. Most folks will get oil moving with their legs on a kick bike... not too many one-kick bikes out there.
Ok thank you , i guess i did fix the dead rev issue then,. thank you :)

·
4,051 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts