Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb ? This is my first bike build. On my triumph t100 I just bought a ford spare tire cover. When making mounts for the fender do I need to have the chain on to get the correct length? I want the fender as close to the tire as I can get and it will be super short (less than half the radius of the tire) Is this why I would run a tensioner?:confused:
Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I mounted mine about 1/2" off of the tire. My fender stops at the highest point of the tire. This allowed me to get close but allowed the wheel to be pulled back to tighten the chain when needed. If you use a spring loaded tensioner with enough travel you may not need to ever move the rear wheel as the tensioner will take up the slack. The tensioner may also help, on harder acceleration, to avoid the vibration caused by the chain due to it's length. There was a post on here a while back where a guy made a tensioner from an old skateboard wheel and some other stuff. MIKE.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get the chain on and adjusted first. That way you know where everything is going to be before you mount the fender. Shit, the chain may cause clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Good call squirrel, I forgot the part about the chain first. I also did have to trim the fender for chain clearance.MIKE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts