Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to take off my spedo and tach (on my 77 XLT) and Im just wondering if the tach where it meets the case has anything goofy with it? I have never taken one off of an Ironhead, and I just want to make sure I do it properly.

What is the procedure? Do i have to "plug" the hole with something.

As far as the speedo goes, do I have to take off the actualy gear on the hub? procedure...etc.

thanks! Im still a learner :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Naw, you can just remove both cables and move on. They sell plugs for the tach hole, and it's a good idea to plug it, b/c water and dirt can sorta squeak into them through the drive unit. I assume your '77 has front wheel drive for the speedo?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naw, you can just remove both cables and move on. They sell plugs for the tach hole, and it's a good idea to plug it, b/c water and dirt can sorta squeak into them through the drive unit. I assume your '77 has front wheel drive for the speedo?
Yup....front~

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can just leave the drive unit there and it will act a spacer. If you want, you can replace it with a spacer the same length and o.d., but it will not hurt to just leave it. The tach drive is more of a concern, because it might let water in, facing straight up and all.
Don't get me wrong, I ran one that way (just disconnected, uncovered) for quite awhile once, and I've seen a bunch like that. I'm just saying if you want to cover the bases...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts