Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
I dont know how well they would work but a pair of linkert dc carbs would look pretty cool..
Cody!

They would work great, and look great if one were a hogged-out DC-2 with the bowl on the opposite side.

But the manifold bolt pattern is not the same as modern.

Personally, I think the ports should be closed a bit for the street anyway.

....Cotten

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Can someone give me some history. Were these available commercially back in the day, or is each pair a one-off? I've seen more dual carb Panheads than any other head. I think they're beautiful.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Depends on the style of the bike, of course, but I like the look of "handed" monoblocks. A 389 and a 689 with accessory float bowl extensions and short bellmouths has a nice look to it. And, enough guys have done it that it must run decently.

I like the look of the "handed" DC Linkerts too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's the same for all DC's. Similar to an s&s manifold. I have one to measure if you want actual numbers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pat Leahy of B&O Cycles was making twin carb pan heads in the 60s I think. They had twin bolt spigots like your set. There was a mob in New York State making them at the same time called Dudley's I believe but they had a 4-bolt patter on the head at the carb.

I have a feeling I've read that S&S made some too and that common practice among all of these guys was to use fins off old smashed heads as filler when welding up the heads.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Cotten , can you tell me the bolt pattern on the dc 2,
Dinuns!

Off the top of my head,the DCs used 3/8" fasteners to the manifold, with the distance between centers a skosh bigger, just enough where the topic heads would need at least one hole moved, if they are the modern 5/16" hole spacing.

I have DCs at the shop to measure... but I don't know if I have anything modern to compare!

.....Cotten

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cotten always comes through with the goods!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Pat Leahy of B&O Cycles was making twin carb pan heads in the 60s I think. They had twin bolt spigots like your set.
I have a set of Pat's dual carb heads, that I got from him about 10 years ago. He did them about 40 years ago, at B&O. Check this out...Pat wanted to give them to me. I had to force him to take money for them!

Pat never finished them, he had them up to the point of having the heads bored, and the round carb spigots welded in. Rick Labriola added the modern 2 bolt flanges for me. He made the adapters so I could bolt on the Amal 932's, too.

I asked Pat about running Mikuni TM's on them, vs the Amal 932's, and he told me to stick to around the 36-38mm size for the TM's.

As far as who made your heads, they are similar to the dual carb heads that George Smith made, but I've only seen them for Rileys and 4 bolt Linkerts. I don't think he was still making them when the later 2 bolt flanges showed up. There were several guys who took the time like Smith did to blend in the fin areas to the carb flange areas when they did the conversions, so it's anybody's guess on yours.

·
Banned
700 Posts
I had it reversed Folks;

DCs appear to be a nominal 2 11/16 inches between centers of 3/8" holes,
whereas an aluminum late-model manifold is a nominal 2 3/4 inches between centers for 5/16" holes.

....Cotten

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a dc series in my hand today , the ports on the head over hang the carb throat so they will be to small . My other concern on these is running these with a Bolt on carb the carbs will be sitting angled like in Irish Rich's picture . So Irish Rich , have you run these heads yet ? How do they work with the Amals?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts