Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I got this great drum brake assembly with a hub (thank you 66Triumph). All in great shape, other than , at some point, the drum must have begun to eat it's way through the hub towards the spokes. I would guess this comes from running the drum loose(?)

Anyway - on the non-drum side I have 3/16" between the edge of the hub and the inside of the spoke hole. On the drum side I have a hair under 1/16".

I'm not sure how much stress the spokes put on the hub, but it seems 1/16" isn't a lot of meat to keep the spokes from pulling out of the hub? Is that not an issue because it's up against the drum?

Here are the questions:
1) Is this hub runnable as is, or not?
2) Anyone every repaired (rebuilt the lip) one of these?

Side note - for repair, I was thinking I could turn a lip on the lathe and weld it on. Seems better as an idea, than something I would like to do.

Thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yea it's a mid star hub. I remember this exact situation being brought up in another thread awhile ago and other members confirmed it being how they came. I tried looking for the thread but of course I cant seem to find it.

-Chris

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris -

Side note, but if you take a look at the thread I posted (I just read it in it's entirety) you'll see the round swing arm question you raised is asked there as wll. The response was that there were, in-fact, a few versions of the swing arm, but all were the same width. The difference was in zerg fittings and some structural things.

Thanks again for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts