Jockey Journal Forum banner

Dropped it

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  railroad bob 
#1 ·
Nothing to see though, glad it’s not a show bike. Got too comfortable knowing where neutral is & stalled / tipped it.

Scratch marks on tarmac visible from attempted start side-stand jumpage, it needed a minute to forgive me. One kick when I rolled it out of the garage earlier though.

The best bit was it was deserted, apart from 400 cameras streaming direct to YouTube.

Give me some stories to make me feel better.

See less See more
#2 ·
I pulled over on a country road for a smoke. Huffed on my Camel, astride my cousin's TR6, feeling real satisfied with life and my own self. Immediately to my right -- in fact, as I learned, just under my right foot when I put it down -- the shoulder fell away with a sharpness concealed by the thick growth of tall weeds. Me: on my neck at the bottom of the ditch with the Triumph all over me like cake frosting. At 126 lbs, I was some time getting the bastard back on the road. I hope that makes you feel some better, Cooks.

#3 ·
I was the king of the tip over, now I'm more of a rook. But I often find the foot to close to the bike and bike leaned over to much a few times a year, but mostly it's on the dirt bikes. Not that I don't give occasional acrobatic preformances on the street for the public.

#5 ·
Not a real motorcycle story but it made not able to ride for a few months or so….i was on the bicycle to work and pushed myself to some interval workout , there was a cracking noise i could not locate and at the time i was in an at ease position for a minute my seatpost broke, i was to the ground in split second, the seat was jammed in the rear wheel , i was in the middle of my journey so i threw the seat away and continued to work another 10 km just on the pedals , the tyre left an actual skid mark starting somewhere down below to half way my back right through the middle 🙁 . My tailbone needed serious time to get over it.

#6 ·
Much like Ratso, minus the smoking, I pulled over for a drink, when I went to put my weight down on my right foot, the ground was uneven and lower than it had subsequently looked prior to me assessing the place to put said foot.

I staggered a few little steps, did a little hop and had the pan on top of me on the floor. Luckily it was grassy and not hard, no cuts or pain or damage. Trying to get your leg from under a bike when there's zero purchase and you're scrabbling isn't ever any fun though.

#8 ·
Look at it this way......Two wheels are inherently unstable by nature. The only way they stand upright at all is with help from a human! So you've been keeping it from laying on its side( I call them naps) this whole time, except that one time!!

P.S. beautiful Sporty!! And thank you for actually ride it, I don't see that enough.

#9 ·
Dirt bike story 2 years ago, first geared up ride. Riding along a creek last in line very large log down over the trail on our side of the creek. To continue it required cross the creek bowl turn on the other bank and cross back over the creek. Which everyone preceding me did just fine. When my turn came the bowl/bank was plenty wet and slippery. Did I mention there was a small tree on the other bank? My bowl turn got out side ways so I ended up center punching the small tree head on. Up off the seat hit my helmeted head on the tree and fell over on the right. Pretty good bell ringing. Pulled off helmet reached over and shut off the gas and sat there a while. 10 minutes or so later I was missed and the other riders came back to find me. What happened they asked, so I told them that my bike was older and had got tired and needed a short nap. That NAP theory is always brought up when tipping a few beverages.

#10 ·
Quick story about a dumb kid here...

Many years ago (more than I'd like to admit) I was visiting my girlfriend (now wife) on her lunch break while she attended college. I jumped off the bike and threw on my rotor lock. Met up with her, had a great lunch (and a little make-out sesh), and strutted back to my bike. I jump on it, fire it up, give it a rev, and dump the clutch with a handful of throttle.

Didn't remember to remove the rotor lock.

I maybe got 4 feet and totally biffed it when my padlock hit my caliper. Hahahaha. Needless to say, I didn't meet her for lunch anymore.

#13 ·
When I first got my knuck running, I had some carb issues... the bike had been running 5/10 mins I bend down to check the carb and continue to lean against the rear pipe with my forearm. Melted the skin straight off. I had a scab the size of my fist for a month. Luckily I heal very very well but it even pulled some colour out of my tattoo. I also did similar with my leg wearing shorts trying to tune said carb.. Fool me once and all that haha.

#14 ·
Got dropped at home from the bar. Wanted to ride after 2 weeks working away from home. 3AM, didn't want to wake the neighbors by starting inside the garage, so I worked it carefully between 2 vehicles through overhead door.
Damn thing would NOT start. I manages to tip it over and scratch the nose cone. When I picked it up, I tipped it again, and scratched the primary too!
I was rolling it back in when my neighbor stuck his head out to see what all the noise was about.

I had forgotten to turn on the petcock. Damn good thing to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.