a nice tire to use..... Im now having a Metzeler marthon 200/16
but the looks suck....
There are some nice lookin dragslicks out there who should fit, but are they
rideable on road?

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
i'm not sure about the laws where you live but where i am the law states that a tire must have tread on it but doesn't say how much so if i take a dremal tool to a slick and give it some lines it becomes legal

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If drag slicks made great road tires don't you think everyone would be using them? There's a reason they are called drag slicks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
First, they are slick, second they are square, and third they are so soft you'll be lucky to run 'em a thousand miles. There aren't any real options for 200/16's anymore. I know the feeling, I bought a set of PM chicanes in 18x4.25 to run Dunlop 591's and they discontinued that tire about five years ago. I LOVED that tire! Now I bought a set of PM aeros in 16/3.5 and now I can get tires! Basically you're stuck with the Metzler, and they are sometimes scarce and not cheap, either.

·
Registered
732 Posts
might be o.k. for a pit bike...I'm actually entertaining that idea myself..but on the road a true drag slick is square and flat...no good for cornering..

·
6,351 Posts
Hm.
Expensive, square, no good in rain, wears fast and probably never ever gets up to it's operating temperature on the street.

Why would you run one?

·
Registered
689 Posts
i'm not sure about the laws where you live but where i am the law states that a tire must have tread on it but doesn't say how much so if i take a dremal tool to a slick and give it some lines it becomes legal
This is not true in the USA. A tire must be DOT approved to be used on public streets. Regardless of how much tread is on a tire, if it is not approved by officials for use on public roads, you could end up with serious issues. If a police officer pulls you over and sees a funky looking race tire on the back of your scoot, he may be very inclined to take a look at it, seeing that it is not for street use, writing tickets, towing your bike away, and having a closer look at any thing else he thinks could be illegal. I would double check the laws in your parts as well. It would seem that there must be some regulations for approving certain tires for use on the street in Canada as well. Tread is only a part of a tires construction, the hardness of the rubber, the load range, the number of ply's, etc all play a role in making a tire legal too.

Ninja750, tires are not the place to play the looks cool game with. Drag slicks have an intended purpose. I would suggest shopping around for a good street tire. Avon has many sizes available, All of which are DOT approved. If you are not dead set on running a 200, you can always look around and find something else you like in a similar size if your fender, drive chain, brackets, etc will allow.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Tires in Canada need to be approved my the US DOT.

Approval is based on carcass construction, and tread depth.
Rubber hardness is not a factor, which is why there are street legal
tires with very sticky compounds, for class racing that require "street legal" tires.
These class rules are typically an ill fated attempt to "save money",
which NEVER works.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hm.
Expensive, square, no good in rain, wears fast and probably never ever gets up to it's operating temperature on the street.

Why would you run one?
Never a "Roadbike" Bike is probably too heavy with dragtires having little sidewall support. but a street bike?

I'll be lookin to find out myself come Sept. 30th/Oct. 2nd at the Kingman Street Drags VII. (youtube)

Expensive? No. MandH racing 5.0/26.0-16 $189.95
Square? of course.
No good in rain? We don't ride this one in the rain.
Wears fast? don't care.
Never gets up to operating temp.? it can.

Why would I run one??????????? because it looks bad ass and it's starting to scare the punks on the Ninja's and Hayabusa's who have been talkin crap.

The tire was cheap, another wider fender was cheaper and the 112 fuel was the cheapest. the only big cost was gearing it to the moon. They didn't call us out to run top end. they called us out on a 1000 ft preped street. while the're smoking the rear or carring the front in to 3rd we'll be in 5th hookin and bookin.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts