Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure, I never had em. I dig the look yet not really the small straight broomsticks like an actual drag racer might have. So many styles out there and I'm not too bad at bending tubing my damn self. Splines are another story but I digress. Let's have it. I did a search, got a lot of issues with, what size, blah-blah, but didn't find any "lets talk about em" topics. So ok, let's. And pictures, please post em if ya got em. My all time go to faves are the OG buckhorns and I might just do that and forget it, but drags are haunting me. Help me welcome the haunt or shoo them away. Thanks in advance, and don't be shy. Not that anyone would be...;)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've run them on near every bike I have ridden. They take the stress out of my lousy lower back. Also, heh heh, I think they tend to look the best -- depends, of course, on the bike.

Might be a different, and dismal, story with forward pegs. ... Which are fine in principle (again, given the right bike), but I don't like sitting on my numb ass like a 150-pound sack of old shoulder roasts.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Well, it's true they aren't very tall.

My further two cents: wide drags look dopy to me. 26 inches is exactly right. (24 looks better but you can end up wrassling pretty hard in a decreasing-radius corner.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm a big fucker. I had fwd controls and stock buckhorns on my 72. I recall I coulda used something a bit lower, and mid pegs for once in a while on longer rides. I like to stretch too, bad lumbar shit. My thought is to put em where the stock bars are. I don't like long risers, they look like an afterthought yet I know why they get used now n then. This is good convo, I'm already less unsettled. While nothing feels more "fuck off" than buckhorns to me, the look of drags is more like "go fuck yourself" especially when it's just sitting. How bout them pics? I did some net search but those bots don't talk like people do.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Those are nice, Rhys. Risers are taller than my tastes will accommodate, but they do look good in profile and, as you mentioned, taller = suited you better.

Just to cloud the whole issue: What about low-rise (2-4") Z- or W-bars, Mr. V12? They'd give a little height w/o the visual fussiness of, e.g., dogbone risers. And to me they have considerably more "fuck you" than drags.

Sorry, I have no pics.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Yeah a lot of my friends run 4/6" dogbones with drags, I think the classic is the old harley 2 piece top mount - bar through that, dogbones off that looks great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its definitely personal opinion and preference, and riding style. I had about 8" rise bars on the knuckle but swapped to drags to get it in and out of my pickup with the tipi pole rack on, then swapped back to the other bars. i got tired of that and ended up just riding with the drags and found I liked them much more. When I got back in the game after a long absence, drags were all I was interested in. The slight pullback risers the Low Riders had work pretty well. The shovel had 8" rise T bars and seemed too narrow and too tall. That was the first thing i changed. 4" risers is about all I want for looks and feel. I could possible warm up to some 4 or 5 " rise mini buckhorns on 4" glide risers, but I havent seen the type we had ages ago, most are much wider on the bottom and more flair than appeals to my eye. The future Pan project will have dogbones with drags or low buckhorns on a springer.

The sidecar gives a bit of a workout on corners, longer bars are often suggested for added leverage, besides my odd tendency to ride on Forest Service dirt roads. The stock 29 1/2" Bars are OK-ish, but I had another set extended 3/4" on each side. Havent gotten them on yet to see if they help, theres other things that will happen like wiring changes at the time of the change. Also have a set of sidecar trees that need some TLC to get ready to use, they should help some as well. I like the 29 1/2" bars and think the wider ones will be better yet.

Ive had mostly halfmoon footboards, forwards are OK, mids make me feel cramped. You can move your feet around forward and back or even stand on the back of the footboards, but Ive only done it a couple times to see really rocky parts of the road when getting back into a hunting camp.

Shovel sidecar rig
Photograph Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Knuckle back in the glory days
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have one in a Triumph with 21 front wheel and shortened forks.
As you know shorter more dangerous and wider more difficult to turn in small radius.
As Rhysmort mention, some models accept very good the drag bars or small ape hangers.
I did it mine 1 inch that Ii think looks better and for the grips I let 7/8 but with HD you can go all the way with a inch.
What I did was seat on the bike and (as the idea of the whole bike was) put my arms (and body) toward front then measured the distance between both fists.
I do not like risers; If had not worked for me with the P clamps I would goo with small ape hangers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As you know shorter more dangerous and wider more difficult to turn in small radius.
I suppose that makes sense depending on the width and how the bike is set up, though with both the knuckle and shovel its not been a problem to turn it to the stops and ride circles at low speed. The knuckle had 4" early glide type risers, the shovel currently has the 3 1/2" factory low rider risers with slight pull back. Both worked great with bob tanks. A taller tank may be different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice things for consideration. I have std twin tanks and the speedo/tach console like a Lowrider. I need some reach, and I really don't like what's on it. I need to consider the switch boxes too. If it looks all hinky with drags I guess I'm screwed, and haven't seen many with boxes on std risers. I might screw around and bend up something close. This is shaping up good folks...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The shovel has the 84 period switch boxes*. I dont care for them and still after several years keep trying to hit the buttons where they were on my first shovel in the late 70s. Im swapping to the 70s period master cylinder, smaller and less clunky than the 84 period, and the switches seem easier to reach and the box smaller. On the left Im changing to plain lever and old style rocker switch on the underside of the handlebar, wires inside, for the turns. I have a lever with the ball end but searching for the older type pointy lever and will probably get a mousetrap.

Funny how ages ago we took all that stuff off, now I want flashing lights to let people not paying attention to see what Im doing. Probably going to look ino some compact clean looking turn flashers eventually.

Knuckle just had old style pointy levers and factory mirror clamp mount.

The 84 had chrome low rider gauges but Im slowly swapping to older style parts. It now has a tin 3 lite dash and FL speedo. This bike is the one I was asking about doing a right case swap for a gen case. Thats a slow motion go. Right side will basically be pan, left with be factory alternator with electric start.

*Edit: realized i have a 70s period left box on it in the pic above, its temporary until i get the bar swapped. There will be wiring work under the dash and tanks for the bars swap. I hate to take it apart while i can ride, waiting for the next period of bad weather or when i can do more at once and get it all over with at once and not get stuck with it apart waiting for parts or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts