Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
blasphemy and devils all go hand in hand so here you go, my vag flared up and i put the comfy seat back on, saddlebags for storage, front roll for more storage, and i'm shipping a toolbox to run in the chase truck.

when i called eagle one about shipping the bike i was considering swapping rear fenders, making new fender supports to get rid if that giant sissy bar and replacing a rear tire that was 3 burnouts away from popping.

the fine guys at eagle one informed me that in order to have my bike in ABQ, NM to leave with trent's gang they needed to pick it up on 2_4_05!

i ordered a 48 tooth sprocket to replace the 51 and put it all back together. i put the saddlebags back on, picked up a front bar bag, and started collecting tools that i may need to keep this baby rolling through the baja.

see you boys in mexico!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Re: Doing the Devil...

hey stolen mojo, halwade here. Thanks for taking luggage seriously for this trip. I have been quietly obsessing with that subject for weeks. The great saddlebags and light bucket-mounted duffel you've chosen look good on your bike... I don't know what I'm going to put on the sportfighter. perhaps one of those tank bags beemer dudes tuck their hospital beepers and road maps into? I could throw a backpack into a chase truck, but that seems like cheating. any suggestions?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want to be sure that the only thing i put in a chase truck is a toolbox and parts, so i've vowed to travel light. i'm putting together a reasonably small plastic toolbox with all my wiring parts, and a bunch of typical handtools for my best guess at needed maintenance. i got sparkplugs, lightbulbs, wire, connectors, oil, and a knife for out of control bar situations.....

as far as the bike goes, when i got the thing i got these saddlebags with it, they just throw over the fender and get clamped down by the bitch seat. i tie-wrap'd them to the legs to keep them under control. the front bag was a stroke of luck. i saw several versions in J&P, CC etc for easily $100 but my local easyrider store had one for $50 because its no-name leather. with my fine customer discount i walked out right at $35. its about 9" diameter by 15" long, mainly just one giant pocket. there's a front pocket, small side pockets and a nice rain cover (for the desert no less).

i'm thinking i'll do the whole camping socks and panties thing where i can wash them at night and hang them to dry rotating between 2 sets, i've got north face pants similar as well, and then a couple of shirts. the north face pants zip off into shorts too. my hammock folds down to pack size, and with a couple of straps that will all fit into a saddlebag. i've got a jacket and pants along with a shaving kit in the other saddlebag.

i seriously thought about the bmw tankbag, that's especially nice for ipods etc too. most of them are big enough for a shaving kit. i've backpacked on this thing for weekend trips but i don't like that very much. its not bad if i have the big seat on there, because the pack rests on the rear seat, but if i tried it with the small chopper seat i'd just say forget it. the nice thing about the handlebar bag is it sits high enough that i can lean down behind it if we get hit with a lot of blowing sand, maybe it will deflect some of the bugs out of my teeth too.

brandon

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Nice Trek, 660? Which leads me to my bicycle background. Less is more, hell when you arent riding a pair of shorts, sandals and optional T shirt. I packed a small backpack last time I was in Mexico and it was too much. I bought a couple of those cool handwoven shirts while down there so I could have gotten by with just the clothes I wore on the plane. My .02

Bike looks good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts