Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Man you are asking for a bit much now...I had a hard time these last days to even get one of those 16" Shinco double white-line tires...! But no, to what I know nobody is making a 18" in that design...If you find one let me know !

·
Registered
262 Posts
okay I picked up GKM issue #3 I think and inside was a triumph with an 18" dual whitewall tire on the rear. it blew my mind. the tread pattern looked exactly like a firestone 4.00, but it had the dual stripe whitewalls. crazy. cant seem to find that tire anywhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just had a quick look through GKM #3, no Triumphs at all, there is a Shovel, a Knuck ,a 45 and a BSA, all with 16" double whitewall rear tyres, for the record I have never seen an 18" double whitewall.????

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ahh, GKM #2 has a 65 Triumph thunderbird chop with a double whitewall 18", that looks like a Firestone, I knew I had seen it somewhere, sorry I don't know where you can get one.:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
yeah my bad! issue #2! sorry the magazines are at home, just going off of memory!

and I checked coker, only 2 whitewall 18" tires, both were single stripe.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
About 2 years ago I ended up with a big stack of NOS Goodyear double white stripes, but they were all 16", never seen an 18" double white.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
get some shallow grooves cut in a blackwall tire and then paint it with some of that whitewall paint, should last a year just repaint every spring.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Another option would be to get a set of porta walls and paint them with black tire paint 'till only the double white stripe is left. I just checked eBay and there are a gross of listings for porta walls, including 18" and 19" sizes. Again, you would have to touch them up probably at least yearly.

I've used the black tire paint over a white stripe I didn't want, and it worked well. It has to be the right paint (which is hard to find) and like any paintwork, surface prep is 90% of a sucessful job. In my case I used Comet, or something like it, to clean the area I wanted to cover.

·
Registered
262 Posts
these are all good ideas, but the truth is that they are all kinda faking the funk. a true dual stripe 18" tire exists out there somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts