Jockey Journal Forum banner

Do you wear a helmet?

• No

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 56.5%
  • Yes, but only because it's required in my state.

Votes: 15 17.6%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how many of you actually wear helmets. I do every time I hop on the bike(even though it looks silly, skinny guy, big helmet).

·
Registered
967 Posts
Bugman said:
Just curious as to how many of you actually wear helmets. I do every time I hop on the bike(even though it looks silly, skinny guy, big helmet).
Yeah, I always think of "Spaceballs" when I strap mine on, but I wouldn't ride without it - I like my brains where they are, thanks.

What I like are the guys with the half-helmets taht get off their bikes and go shopping with their elmets on - gotta love that!

·
Banned
538 Posts
Nope,im more worried bout lossin a limb or a digit than busting my skull.

no ditchpig skid lid here,be sides in most cases helmet or not a head injury
(depending on speed) yer brian is instant jello ,or you break yer neck,,,though
i would where one for motocross go figure

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I do.

its the only time I can wear something shiny and sparkely without getting laughed at.
Or...at least
I can't hear them laughing.
:D

·
Registered
801 Posts
I do. Didn't used to, but do now. Suddenly felt the need one day, and have stuck with it every since. Plus, it's nice to have one on when you get caught in the rain.

·
Banned
648 Posts
I've crashed too hard way to many times on an MX bike to not wear one. If it were legal in CA to run without one I probably would once in a while on a short, low speed, around town kind of put. (Though that is probably when I'd get t-boned at an intersection.) As comfortable as modern full faces are I can't stand the loss of hearing/peripheral vision in one on the street, so I just run an old sparkly open face, though I'm thinking about adding a cool bubble to the front for the spring time bugs around here... In a place like Baja on the open roads that are pretty desolate and not much risk of others killing me I've been known to run a beanie and it feels good but still kind of risky feeling since I've just grown up always using a lid.

Goddamn I am long winded, should have just voted and shut up, huh?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've only whore one when the law requiers me to. I just had a buddie that laid his bike down and did a Pete Rose slid on the highway after rolling over from head to shoulder first He had the riding gear on and a nice helment.The helment is trash and so is the bike all because someone else. Shock kinda to see how many wear there lids.I'm really thinking about spending the dough for a new lid.

choppercopper1 said:
I wear one only because of the law. Would rather have a choice in the matter. I am bald and on a nice summer day I get tan lines across my farhead tha are very noticeable. LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wear a 3/4 open face. I have a full face for wet weather. If helmets are good enough for Drag bike racers, super bike racers, MX, and flat track racers then a helmet is surely good enough for me. I respect freedom of choice though. But personally if they lifted the helmet law here in CA, I'd still wear a helmet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do. My latest is a Kevlar/ Carbon Fiber job that is very thin and light. Got it through J&P. Very comfortable. Almost no wind drag. No law here. Even though I wear one, I'll be the first one to stand up to fight against any BS legislated safety code.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know "I" should wear one at all times BUT.... I don't. I have crashed my fair share of bikes on the street and track (well over 100mph) and never had a head injury. But I still can't stop myself from making runs out the long country roads near home without one.

Crashing hurts like a motherfocker but..... I still sometimes leave it at home.
I have lots of full face helmets (Arai) I used for racing but the one I grab for the street when I do wear one is an old Bell 3/4 I bought in 1976. Great little helmet. John

·
Registered
177 Posts
used to run a super-cool japanese 1/2 helmet with a flip-up eye-shield (old police style) which did the coolest thing at about 50-60mph. Somehow the wind at that speed would force the 1/2 shield (just covers the eyes, with a notch for yer nose) all the way down...BANG!...which was really slick and all automatic looking as you croutch down to go fast, but sometimes you'd be going like 45, catch a headwind gust, and --POW!-- it'd scare the hell out of you!

That helmet is sure cool-looking, but older than me and pretty thin...I used to wear it riding to work on nice days, etc. Then a truck pulled out and didn't stop. Sqeezed all the asbestos I had, bike flopping from side to side...man, I could tell exactly what sqare inch of that truck I was gonna hit, and all I could think of was "why the fuck am I wearing this helmet today?" Well, the truck stopped, I let off the brakes and I shot a foot in front of it leaving 20 feet of skid marks the whole time (yeah, went back and measured)....and since that day, I've just worn the full face. I've had 2 concussions, and that's all I want. They suck. yeah, I look like a dork...just like I've looked my whole life. big, white snell dot full face helmet with a 30 year old bike and black leathers.

btw, helmet laws aren't for your protection, they're to minimize the lawsuits and insurance claims that your survivors will enact after you die. They just save insurance companies' money. really. the government doesn't care about your well-being.

All that said, I took my baby out for a spin yesterday around my neighborhood without a helmet! fast too! yeah, it was fun.

see for yourself...that's me on the blue beemer in the background. MMMC run.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
We blast around the neighborhood without them, and the rest of the city (ocasionally) without helmets when its like 3 in the morning and theres no one around (and no cops in site) but really even if there wasnt a helmet law in CA ide be downright scared to ride without one. When i drive on the freeway i see way to many 20 something chicks in trucks taller then mine applying eyeshadow and talking on the phone .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts