Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a front shovelhead rockerbox regasket for a friend. Now he says it's leaking again. I cleaned the head off, cleaned the rocker box off and used a JAMES gaskets, rather then skimping.... 1982 FLH.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
497 Posts
sometime chrome will leak, i do know they gotta be super clean especialy the head,ita a bitch gettin all that old of around the studs. i guess you have already tried re-tourqe on them. your not using acorn nuts are you, ive had them bottom out and not run down all the way. it would be a pain to tear it all down to check flatness.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
are the studs installed FULLY into the heads? I have read in some articles (pics)showing the studs not being full seated /installed..

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Besides milling the rockers and attaching surfaces, the one thing most people miss, when using the original studs, is that they are completely installed, so the cones at the base are below the opening they screw into. Another thing to check, is the crankcase pressure. If the heads are not venting correctly, the pressure builds up and makes the front head, leak at the front, and the rear head at the rear, due to the angle and oil running to the lowest point. There is Yamabond, and some new gasketmakers out there that will cure almost any oil leak, but correct installation should at least get it down to a slow seep. Some people even vent the rockers, but I prefer to get it done without altering the rockers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SOrry to not reply sooner....

Turned out to be the rear head...........not the one I fixed.....and it was also the end cap for the rocker shaft, and not the rocker box gasket at all.

Of course.....I touched it last, so he assumed it was MY FAULT.... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.