Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm about to put a DNA Springer onto my bike and am wondering what's the difference between a 21" wheel from say an FXST and a Springer wheel? I realise the brakes are on the opposite side but couldn't I just turn a FXST wheel over so the disc is on the right hand side (I'm assuming the FXST uses a 3/4 inch front axle)? The only reason I ask is that I can get a FXST wheel for a good price from a friend and Springer wheels are a bit hard to come by over here.

Cheers
Scotty

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The only thing that could be different is that the disc flange on both wheels are out from the center more or less than the other..

(What I do know is that on a stock HD Springer, the front wheel is mounted NOT in the middle..! It's offset about half an inch to the right..wtf..)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What Danny said. And, if you're going to run a front brake and are going to buy something pre-fabbed (PM, GMA, etc.) they will be set-up for a springer set-up. Mine was set up for a Paughco, but since DNA basically copied the Paughco springer geometry it bolted right up. I guess bottom line is, if the offset is different and you have access to a machine shop, you can make anything happen. Check out Fab Kevin's springer brake kits too. Also, Scorcher may have something to add here since he's dealt with those springers.
Danny F. said:
The only thing that could be different is that the disc flange on both wheels are out from the center more or less than the other..

(What I do know is that on a stock HD Springer, the front wheel is mounted NOT in the middle..! It's offset about half an inch to the right..wtf..)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with a regular FXST single flange wheel on a DNA. You'll just have to make your own spacers to center the wheel vs. the one's that come with the axle.

Besides, you should have a caliper stay mounting lug on both rear legs of your DNA springer anyways, it doesn't matter what side your brake goes on.

FXST single flange 21" wheel, DNA springer, Paughco axle, Fabricator Kevin springer brake kit, 11 1/2" rotor........

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Check out Fab Kevin's springer brake kits too.
I'll put Fab Kevin's 4 piston brake kits up against PM's ( or any of the aftermarket one's) 4 piston systems any day in stopping ability. The only one I know that beats his is the Brembos, and the Hawg Halters are pretty close.

http://www.fabkevin.com/springer_caliper_kits.htm

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Fully agree!! Not overly satisfied with my GMA to put it mildly. I got a rippin' deal on that billet piece of crap and hadn't seen Kevin's stuff yet. If I could do it all over again... well, you know how it works!
Irish Rich said:
I'll put Fab Kevin's 4 piston brake kits up against PM's ( or any of the aftermarket one's) 4 piston systems any day in stopping ability. The only one I know that beats his is the Brembos, and the Hawg Halters are pretty close.

http://www.fabkevin.com/springer_caliper_kits.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.