Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a DNA springer and I'm a bit woried about the front axle. It looks cool with the big chrome acorn nuts but there's no secondary method of securing the axle. Most bikes that I've come across (Yank, Brit and Jap) have either locking pins in the fork legs, lock nuts or something similar to stop the front axle from sliding out should a nut fall off. I spose a big blob of red Loctite on the nuts will work but has anyone had or heard of any problems?

Cheers
Scotty

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
YUP! Loctite the shit out of it! It scared me too! I don't know how your spacers were, but mine were all fucked up and had to make new ones. The ones that came with it were scary also. The overall quality of the axle itself seems to be okay though. The company that makes the front ends and axles for DNA are a bunch of dumbshits though! (Long story) Hopefully their quality is better than their business practices.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I get quite a bit of customer stuff in here that is put together with red Locktite. Looks like overkill to me. Has anyone really had problems with stuff falling off when they use blue Locktite? I hate using a torch to take things apart.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i used blue loctite with grade 8 lockwashers everywhere on my bike. thanksfully it does come apart when i want it to. i havent ridden my bike (until later tonight, hopefully!) so i dont know if shit will fall apart but i doubt it. also, when i question something, i just line up two little dabs of yellow paint on the nut & on whatever its holding so i can just look the bike over real quick to see if anything is coming loose. beats breaking out the wrenches everytime you want to go for a ride. i stole the idea from some wheel lugs i saw on a big rig trailer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes. On a rigid, I use red loctite exclusively, the blue has not cut it in the past.

Larry T said:
I get quite a bit of customer stuff in here that is put together with red Locktite. Looks like overkill to me. Has anyone really had problems with stuff falling off when they use blue Locktite? I hate using a torch to take things apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.