Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just started up my bike after working on it fairly consistently for 5 years. While I am really happy with how it turned out, It is definitely not something I will do again.

My biggest issue at this point is the deafening noise it makes. I opted for conical trumpet muffler without baffle which was clearly a horrible choice.

Has anyone fabricated a baffle, or somehow modified an existing one, in order to silence mufflers similar to this? How was the results?

Any ideas and thoughts to reduce the noise in an effective (and permanent) way is appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have been considering at this point is basically just
  • Using a univeral baffle like the diameter 60 mm below.
  • Make an adapter for the diameter to make it fit somewhat inside tube around where the fixation fitting is.
  • Drill a hole where the fixation fitting is for the muffler and secure the baffle from the side.
I would probably have to drill holes etc to open up the baffle or so.

Is this somewhat feasible and in line with what others are doing? Appreciate advice.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'd guess that you'll have a nicer street-riding experience with a pair o' those baffles. The open megs can't be doing anything for the bike's performance. As far as mounting the baffles, I can't improve on your plan except I would probably secure them at the small end (unless they're a really close fit in the headers). They look as if they'd like nothing better than to vibrate themselves apart in a few hundred miles. And I'd def ride and listen to the bike before I made any fresh holes in them, if that's what you mean by "opening up the baffles."

Related side question for the JJ at large: Does JB Weld hold up to applications in a situation like this -- high heat with (presumably) rapid expansion and contraction?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They will work
you could buy 4 of different diameters pull the end of the two and have fixings at both ends (might be overkill)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts